Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 03:40 PM

Re: Car Bumpers

double post
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
It's because the safety design of cars has changed, old cars were solid and the bumper bar was there to take the shock out of any collision, but now the cars are made to take the shock by crumpling.Edit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumple_zone
I'd rather the bumper crumpled ................
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 03:49 PM

Is it because they were all black a long time ago, and now most cars tend to be the same colour of the car..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

30-06-2015, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
Is it because they were all black a long time ago, and now most cars tend to be the same colour of the car..
I'll test the theory tomorrow - I'll take me magnet ..........
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 04:14 PM

Well I thought they were the same colour as the car Patsy, as has been said. BUT, I have just conducted an interesting experiment.
I took a fridge magnet out to my car and stuck it on the bodywork - it clung on beautifully.
Then I stuck it on the bottom of the car, around the number plate areas front and back, and it refused to stick.

So whatever the 'bumpers' are made of, it sure aint metal.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

30-06-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well I thought they were the same colour as the car Patsy, as has been said. BUT, I have just conducted an interesting experiment.
I took a fridge magnet out to my car and stuck it on the bodywork - it clung on beautifully.
Then I stuck it on the bottom of the car, around the number plate areas front and back, and it refused to stick.

The thing is bumpers were there to take impact and if you had a scrape, you just changed the bumper - now - I don't know - just seems a bit mad to me
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 04:21 PM

Plastic
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 04:24 PM

Blimey Jimmy, how robust would plastic be in a crash?
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 04:32 PM

Blimey Jimmy, how robust would plastic be in a crash?
It's the bodywork of the car that takes the impact by crumpling.
If you don't run into anything you won't get a crumpled car.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 04:32 PM

Ok I have just had to look this one up and it says that current design consists of a plastic cover over a reinforced bar.

They have to be on all vehicles and are designed to absorb the energy of low speed collisions. But they are being designed to lessen injury to pedestrians struck by cars.

Hope I have ready that right, see what you learn by asking a question.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top