Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 06:55 PM

Re: Dog theft - again!

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Some good news here at least....

https://www.wiltshire.police.uk/arti...y-in-Southwick
Excellent news. It will be interesting to see what sentences they get. Somewhere between nothing and bugger all probably.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Excellent news. It will be interesting to see what sentences they get. Somewhere between nothing and bugger all probably.

That sounds about right, dongles.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 07:39 PM

That's just brilliant, Wish I could be the judge at their trial, they'd never ever steal another dog by the time I finished with them.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 11:30 PM

I wish the thieving barstards could desist but they don't.

A personal take. I stroll, walk, gallop my dog. No lead. He charges off, finds whatever and looks at me for further instruction. Could someone nick him while he is at his antics? I suppose it's possible - they'd have to catch him............

We meet a lots dogs - and their owners. I have noticed more recently that more are on leads. Probably understandably.

I dunno.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2021, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I wish the thieving barstards could desist but they don't.

A personal take. I stroll, walk, gallop my dog. No lead. He charges off, finds whatever and looks at me for further instruction. Could someone nick him while he is at his antics? I suppose it's possible - they'd have to catch him............

We meet a lots dogs - and their owners. I have noticed more recently that more are on leads. Probably understandably.

I dunno.

I honestly think it very foolish to let dogs run too far ahead, or out of sight into woods, etc.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 08:51 AM

Trouble is most family dogs are trusting and friendly .
These are the sort that get stolen .
Even keeping a dog on a lead is no prove against thieves who have taken to mugging the owners .
What a world we live in .
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 03:40 PM

I know anyone would have trouble getting Dageus to go with them. Last summer in the woods we met a lady who I've gotten to know over the years as she often walks the same sort of time and place Dageus and I go.We were sitting at a either end of a big fallen log talking and as always she had a pocket full of wee treats and Dageus was doing his best to get some more from her. She said she had better get going and said come on Woodle Doodle I think I'll take you home with me. I was curious and said try it then, and she took Dageus's collar and he walked a couple of steps then realised I was still sitting, he dug his heels in and wouldn't budge an inch, and this was someone he knew and liked. So with the size and weight of him anyone would have a hell of a job trying to pinch him.
He's usually off the lead but never out of my sight, I've also gotten into the habit of calling him in to heel if I see people coming, especially men in their 30/40s group. I did have a young man pet him a while back and he asked what his name was but I wouldn't say, I pretended I didn't hear him.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2021, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I know anyone would have trouble getting Dageus to go with them. Last summer in the woods we met a lady who I've gotten to know over the years as she often walks the same sort of time and place Dageus and I go.We were sitting at a either end of a big fallen log talking and as always she had a pocket full of wee treats and Dageus was doing his best to get some more from her. She said she had better get going and said come on Woodle Doodle I think I'll take you home with me. I was curious and said try it then, and she took Dageus's collar and he walked a couple of steps then realised I was still sitting, he dug his heels in and wouldn't budge an inch, and this was someone he knew and liked. So with the size and weight of him anyone would have a hell of a job trying to pinch him.
Interesting how Dageus reacted.
I had a collie a good many years who did a similar thing. My mother, father, and were out one day and my dog was left at home. While we were out, my friend paid a visit at our house. We and I were best buddies - but not that day when my dog kept my friend in totally in his place.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

07-02-2021, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I honestly think it very foolish to let dogs run too far ahead, or out of sight into woods, etc.
I thought about that since. There are fewer people around since Covids. The dog is comfortable with us and his rambling.

Today we walked for quite a way with a friend from across the street from us - neighbours - with his two dogs and our M. M stayed close by me and with my wife with no rambling with the others this time.

The point is that his close proximity deters the possibility of dog thefts.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 12:51 PM

Oh I'm glad to see this thread, because up here in Scotland there are fake SSPCA vans going around targeting (women, mostly) walking their dogs. They pull up the van and basically accuse the dog walker of either stealing the dog, or being subject to reports of the dog being a nuisance. They then take the dog and drive off. The official SSPCA are aware of this and taking steps to prevent it, but its still a worry. I'm glad I stay local when I'm out on my own with Diva Dog, or take Mr P with me when we go out longer walks.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top