Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 09:01 PM

Re: Work, job turned down

@ Realspeed

You think some of those jobs sound odd.

Wanna know where my telephone socket is in my flat?
In the airing cupboard.
Yes, next to the hot water tank.

I just can't be bothered to get it resited and me hub works well enough.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 09:30 PM

I think that we can all agree that those of us who have worked in sundry properties over the years that the problem are not the jobs, it's the bleedin' customers.

When I was an apprentice, the firm I worked for had sundry electrical departments, one of which was Appliance Repair (at an age where appliances were expensive and repairs much cheaper than a new appliance) and we apprentices had to have a six-week spell in each department to test our suitability.

The number of times we were called out to repair washing machines that had stopped working because the emptying pump was jammed you wouldn't believe. The customers didn't have the wit to bail out the water in the machines and, (I don't know if you are aware of this) if left for any length of time, the smell of the water is putrid and can make you physically sick with the smell. On one occasion, rather than bail this particular washing machine (a twin-tub) with a pan. We, the sparky and me, lifted it up complete with full load of washing and water, carried out into the garden and threw it onto the lawn. We told the customer to sort out the washing herself, get some disinfectant, and we would go back later to repair the machine.

I can still remember the smell to this day.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 10:05 PM

Those same people I dealt with used to go out shopping and call at the nearest car dealers and ask for a test drive of whatever model, they would then ask if they could go home to see if it would fit in the garage, needless to say, by the time they arrived home, they had changed their minds and the poor sales guy had to drive the car back to the garage..
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I think that we can all agree that those of us who have worked in sundry properties over the years that the problem are not the jobs, it's the bleedin' customers.

When I was an apprentice, the firm I worked for had sundry electrical departments, one of which was Appliance Repair (at an age where appliances were expensive and repairs much cheaper than a new appliance) and we apprentices had to have a six-week spell in each department to test our suitability.

The number of times we were called out to repair washing machines that had stopped working because the emptying pump was jammed you wouldn't believe. The customers didn't have the wit to bail out the water in the machines and, (I don't know if you are aware of this) if left for any length of time, the smell of the water is putrid and can make you physically sick with the smell. On one occasion, rather than bail this particular washing machine (a twin-tub) with a pan. We, the sparky and me, lifted it up complete with full load of washing and water, carried out into the garden and threw it onto the lawn. We told the customer to sort out the washing herself, get some disinfectant, and we would go back later to repair the machine.

I can still remember the smell to this day.
Judd having worked on washing machines for thirty years, I know all too well the smell of 3 day old water, we used to repair top loaders and there were a few at an army college at Harrogate, when it closed for the Christmas holiday, some of the machines were left full of water and not been reported as faulty, it was a rude awakening to start the new year trying to drain two week old water....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2020, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
@ Realspeed

You think some of those jobs sound odd.

Wanna know where my telephone socket is in my flat?
In the airing cupboard.
Yes, next to the hot water tank.

I just can't be bothered to get it resited and me hub works well enough.
Is it the hot line?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Is it the hot line?
Could possibly even be the 'clothes' line!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 09:12 AM

We're not unduly inconsiderate where tradespeople or technicians (they're NOT engineers) are called in, but we take the view that we're paying for a solution.

The corollary to that is that we know and accept that what gets done might cost more than a bog-standard job and pay accordingly.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
We're not unduly inconsiderate where tradespeople or technicians (they're NOT engineers) are called in, but we take the view that we're paying for a solution.

The corollary to that is that we know and accept that what gets done might cost more than a bog-standard job and pay accordingly.
Obviously you have not dealt direct with customers in their own homes
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Obviously you have not dealt direct with customers in their own homes
No, but we deal with tradespeople and technicians who deal with us in our home. I guess that we're atypical.
Primus1
York

03-05-2020, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
No, but we deal with tradespeople and technicians who deal with us in our home. I guess that we're atypical.
Hope your first job todger, is to offer them a cup of tea..

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top