Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2010, 09:08 PM

Re: Indeed a Smellie verdict.

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Threads merged
Might be an idea to move Current affairs up higher on list
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 09:01 AM

Well, I was neither at the demo or in court but, from the video clips, there doesn't seem to be any other conclusion than that he used unnecessary force.

The court case in respect of Ian Tomlinson (remember him? he died at the demo) will be very interesting
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 01:33 PM

I think it does look as if too much force was used but on the other hand, it is hard for anyone not involved to know the true situation. Maybe sitting in front of the TV and watching it, we can say what we think to be the case but that's different to being out-numbered and on the sharp end of a noisy active protesting crowd I suppose.

It looks to me as if she was only pushed at first. Not being put off by that, she came back again and so came in for the first blow. Then she came back once more and got a second one. I wonder if she should have got the message earlier ..but difficult to say really.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2010, 01:52 PM

I've seen the vid several times and IMO he behaved like an SS storm trooper.
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I think it does look as if too much force was used but on the other hand, it is hard for anyone not involved to know the true situation. Maybe sitting in front of the TV and watching it, we can say what we think to be the case but that's different to being out-numbered and on the sharp end of a noisy active protesting crowd I suppose.

It looks to me as if she was only pushed at first. Not being put off by that, she came back again and so came in for the first blow. Then she came back once more and got a second one. I wonder if she should have got the message earlier ..but difficult to say really.

I agree with you Mart.

It's all very well sitting in safety watching things like this, but a different kettle of fish when you are faced with someone coming at you, verbally abusive and threatening, particularly if that person is one of many that you are trying to keep under control.

Sorry, but I do think we should back our policemen the same as we do our lads in the army. Yes, there are some rotten apples, but on the whole I think they try very hard to do a decent job.

And the fact that she has now made money out of it does her no credit whatsoever.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2010, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wanda ->
I agree with you Mart.

Sorry, but I do think we should back our policemen the same as we do our lads in the army. Yes, there are some rotten apples, but on the whole I think they try very hard to do a decent job.
But we were not condemning the police in general just one thug in particular who as Nero said acted in the best tradition of an SS storm trooper.
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2010, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wanda ->
I agree with you Mart.

It's all very well sitting in safety watching things like this, but a different kettle of fish when you are faced with someone coming at you, verbally abusive and threatening, particularly if that person is one of many that you are trying to keep under control.

And the fact that she has now made money out of it does her no credit whatsoever.
And I refer you back to the rest of what I said!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2010, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by nero ->
I've seen the vid several times and IMO he behaved like an SS storm trooper.

Looks like ten Nazis got their comeuppance.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...Tg2XHOstEaRQdA

Just wonder if the officer in charge was to scared to do anything after this disgraceful court case
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2010, 11:30 AM

Perhaps the vid of the policeman last week prompted the crowd to behave like this, . . "get yours in first" is what comes to my mind, . . policemen are in the public eye and that cop should've know he would be caught on camera.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Looks like ten Nazis got their comeuppance.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...Tg2XHOstEaRQdA
Unless you are joking, calling those officers Nazis is terrible. They weren't anything to do with the Policeman in question here. I guess if you have a low opinion of the Police, you won't ever ask for their help if your house is broken into, or if you are harassed by a bunch of rowdy youths etc.

I'm not the Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator for our road anymore but still go to most of the monthly meetings where anyone can turn up and meet their local Police. Because of this, I can say that all the Policemen I've met care very much about public safety and work very hard in an effort to provide it.

You might be grateful for the 'Nazi' presence one day.

Edit: Typo

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top