Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2013, 04:07 PM

Re: The End of Free Banking?

Another nail in the coffin of the EU.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2013, 04:14 PM

I do not intend to pay a fee for daily banking. At the moment the bank pays us £5. per month. I would not use my credit card if I had to pay anything for having one. If a charge is applied to debit cards, I would go back to using cash as far as I could - Although I wonder if it would be possible to use only cash these days. We have all been encouraged to use debit cards for just about everything we buy. When you consider how much the banks benefit from us using their banks, I hope the debit card will be left as it is.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2013, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
There has been a tax on bank cards over here for years, I never use them but the last I heard it was 50 euros a year, probably more now. We also have the highest rate of VAT in Europe.
I never have any dealings with banks, I use cash and the post office for larger transactions. The wife uses the bank and is always complaining about it, but you pay your money and make your choice.
Not quite accurate, Jem, but I agree it is robbery. The tax on credit cards is 30 euros/yr, bank laser card 5 euros per year. But the bank also charges exhorbitantly for cheques (government tax 12.50, now also 50cents per cheque!!). And now they have the cheek to say that they are going to charge 5 euros per quarter to hold your money, even if you keep a minimum balance in your account to avoid other charges...
Alas, Ireland has not had free banking for decades...
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2013, 08:56 PM

Also, in some cases it is impossible to access certain services without a credit card eg car rental in some places. It seems the financial sector have spent years getting us all to use plastic and now that it has become a way of life for many they are going to have to pay even more for it.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2013, 09:17 PM

Thank for setting that straight Ania.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2013, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think I would start using cash again, they stopped me using cheques and insisted debit cards were to be used, if they now charge I will simply stop using them.
I would start using cash again too.

You will still pay the companies for using your cards but banks will also be charging (if I've understood it correctly).
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Also, in some cases it is impossible to access certain services without a credit card eg car rental in some places. It seems the financial sector have spent years getting us all to use plastic and now that it has become a way of life for many they are going to have to pay even more for it.
Isn't that always the way it is though? Get people into a routine, set society up to operate that way and then charge them for it!

Given how much the banks make out of our money, I see no reason for them to charge anything at all.

I would withdraw the lot and buy a couple of Dobermans to guard it all
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2013, 11:13 AM

I used to pay my cable TV bill monthly bang on time at the post office, I was charged an extra 3 euros per transaction by the cable company for not paying it direct debit, bloody blackmail I call it, forcing you to use the banks, so I give the cash to the wife and she now pays it direct debit.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2013, 01:28 PM

All this talk of gold reminds me of a story about a man who managed to sneak some gold bars into heaven with him when he passed on.
Far from being chided by St Peter at the pearly gates he received genuine concern that he had gone to so much trouble to smuggle some "pavement" in.

The streets & pavements built with it dont'cha know.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2013, 06:55 PM

I don't want to have to pay for banking or cards either, although I know it is standard in other countries.
I would have to rethink strategy, at present I have 5 currents accounts used for different purposes, certainly i'd be thinking most of them would have to go, and the same with cards, but I feel a debit card would probably be hard to do without now

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top