Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 01:09 PM

Re: Light Bulbs !

I cannot see or read properly with energy saver bulbs but Im fine with LED bulbs and a 9wt LED is about 100(old)wts

OH has a builders type lamp for car repairs which is 2 rows of LED total 14W and you could do brain surgery with that!
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 03:00 PM

You can get 100watt bulbs from Home Bargains, they are lumen 1120, just the same as the old candescent.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I was recently told in a shop that the old-type bulbs can still be sold but not manufactured.
And the no manufacturing applies to the EU only. I can still buy old-type 100w bulbs from a local trade and retail supplier. While there is a demand there will still be a supply.
13Smiles
London
13Smiles is male 

20-01-2015, 03:40 PM

Hello.

O these new bulbs are getting better all the time. Most now hit full brightness within one minute and last for many years. I have just replaced one in the porch which I leave on all evening and all night, it has lasted just over 3 1/2 years.
kittylion
Lancashire, United Kingdom
kittylion is female  kittylion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 04:19 PM

My ones from Amazon seem OK. It is the only place I have been able to find them.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by kittylion ->
My ones from Amazon seem OK. It is the only place I have been able to find them.
Yep -was just about to suggest Amazon too
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 05:47 PM

See this: -

http://www.sust-it.net/lighting-why-...e-switched.php

We have CFLs everywhere and have had for 20 years.

They were expensive in the past but now if you shop around they're quite reasonable.

Our bathroom one could be about to go we think - it's 24 years old!

I've had a spare 23W one for 15 years - just in case.

I did find that knowing the Colour Temperature or Kelvin helps as 3500K is classed as white but a 6500K CFL is classed as a "daylight" CFL and is often used to combat SAD.

The problem can be finding higher-rated CFLs and I made a few mistakes in the past as some of them are very poor for reading.

The best bet is to go for a higher Kelvin if you want better quality light for reading etcetera but some people say a higher Lumen, meaning the amount of visible light is better.

We use a lot of them at work and to be honest some CFLs are rubbish! stevmk2

stevmk2
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 07:49 PM

Saw some "old type" bulbs in Aldi very recently, 60w and 100w. Don't know how they manage to sell them.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 08:40 PM

All this messin around with light bulbs has being going on now for nearly ten years, and it hasn't made a jot of difference to saving anything, those new 'energy saving' things are useless for giving good light, I have a sneaky suspicion they were forced upon us because they weren't selling as well as they thought they would, and some government minister's mate had a factory making them , and the price of them too. We have a good stock of the old ones left and there's always somewhere in town where the wife can pick up more.
And the Lord said "Let there be light" Amen to that.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 08:52 PM

They have started messing about with vacuum cleaners now, Jem, they think they will save energy by cutting the power down, they don't seem to realize that with less power they will have to be on longer to do the same job. thus no energy saved.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top