Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 04:34 PM

Re: Insurance companies proving they s**m of the earth.

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I wonder how many future policies will have clauses in them for catching any viruses..
In what context do you use the word 'catching' Primus??

Donkeyman!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
we booked our insurance in September 2019 well before the virus outbreak
Have you read the fine print?

There was a local couple on the radio this morning telling of their experience. They had booked on the Diamond Princess for a cruise, I think it was this coming June but that might be wrong, for obvious reasons the company has cancelled the cruise and refunded the couple's money in full.

They then contacted the travel insurance company to get a refund for the air fares and other expenses to and from the port of departure but were refused. They got absolutely nothing, the insurance company told them something about being outside a "cooling off period". Their travel insurance cost them $1200 and they were more than a little disgruntled. The insurance was taken out at about the time of booking last year and the refund was not refused because of the virus.

I don't know the exact details because it was only a radio story but it might be worth checking with your insurance company exactly what you are covered for because they were refused under circumstances any normal person would assume they were covered.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:48 AM

I have to say I was impressed with Saga during the recent storm when I lost some tiles off my roof.
I telephoned to enquire about making a claim and an estimate was made there and then and a cheque in the post the next day (minus the excess) . I was told to get back to them if the cost was higher.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Then you have nothing to worry about RS, except contracting the Virus of course.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have to say I was impressed with Saga during the recent storm when I lost some tiles off my roof.
I telephoned to enquire about making a claim and an estimate was made there and then and a cheque in the post the next day (minus the excess) . I was told to get back to them if the cost was higher.
I think travel insurance is a completely different beast to household insurance. Travel insurance seems to have get out clauses for just about everything.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 10:43 AM

Lots about it on the News this morning. If you have any travel booked, you really do have to contact your insurance company and check you are covered against the virus. Aviva and LV were mentioned as two of those changing the rules. No doubt they will be inundated with calls but serves them right.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top