Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2016, 06:57 AM

Re: who said there is no work available ?????

Originally Posted by Nom ->
£150 quid a day, why did i bother training to be a Spark, all those years as an apprentice, decades of exams and courses.

Never came close to that money.
Hi

Well that is where we went wrong Nom not valuing enough our engineers and tradespeople.

If you had been in PR, Marketing or any other useless none productive work you would have made a mint.

One of my Ex's, a Barrister, would not even consider getting out of bed for less than £1800 a day.

That is where we went wrong.

Dentists are another one, a fortune now, previously on the NHS.

A filling, £170, in the EU, £40.

I was quoted £2100 for a new set of dentures, look like real, got them for £540 from abroad.

Exactly the same manufacturer.

I need glasses.

Got the prescription, saved £170 on the frames and lenses by getting them abroad.

We need to value our trades people more, they are the ones who produce our wealth.

I can calculate the size of a Structural Beam in my head in seconds.

I am absolutely useless at fitting it.

There needs to be a recognition that we are both equally valuable, one cannot exist without the other.

I think that it is totally wrong that I get paid five times what the real people, the workers who actually produce the goods, do.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2016, 07:03 AM

I feel you are right Swimmy, one thin i do admire about Germany was its support and investment in the likes of tradesmen, something that does not happen here.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2016, 07:52 AM

Been sayin that for years SF, some folks have the urge to take more than they need, just because it's the standard, or offered, sad fact of life.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2016, 08:17 AM

Ok friend works in Argos if it's like her job and I have no reason to think they have different contracts in other stores, she is only able to get 16 hours a week the won't employ for more hours. She has therefore either to get another job or sign on for top up benefits, she tried doing another job but that meant she wasn't paying ni, she then looked at how much top up she would get and hands down it made sense for her to get part of her rent paid and some cash from the benefit pot.

So imaging this is a job that anyone can take and live on is not correct, far too many jobs advertised if you look closer are not paying enough hours to live on in any meaningful way.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2016, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Ok friend works in Argos if it's like her job and I have no reason to think they have different contracts in other stores, she is only able to get 16 hours a week the won't employ for more hours. She has therefore either to get another job or sign on for top up benefits, she tried doing another job but that meant she wasn't paying ni, she then looked at how much top up she would get and hands down it made sense for her to get part of her rent paid and some cash from the benefit pot.

So imaging this is a job that anyone can take and live on is not correct, far too many jobs advertised if you look closer are not paying enough hours to live on in any meaningful way.
And now we are coming out of the EU these type of jobs will be all that's left as the big companies move their businesses abroad!!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2016, 10:47 AM

I once did a holiday job in a chicken shed-the money was great but two weeks was enough. This is back in the 70s. Such cruelty ,so much abuse.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2016, 10:56 AM

£150 quid a day, why did i bother training to be a Spark, all those years as an apprentice, decades of exams and courses.

Never came close to that money.

I feel your pain.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2016, 11:03 AM

I feel you are right Swimmy, one thin i do admire about Germany was its support and investment in the likes of tradesmen, something that does not happen here.
We tradesmen & women (I'll include plumbers in that ) are competing with the large DIY market supplying householders who think they are competent to carry out electrical and plumbing jobs. If something works, why bother how it was installed even if it's dangerous?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2016, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
And now we are coming out of the EU these type of jobs will be all that's left as the big companies move their businesses abroad!!

Why do you think they will do that ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2016, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
We tradesmen & women (I'll include plumbers in that ) are competing with the large DIY market supplying householders who think they are competent to carry out electrical and plumbing jobs. If something works, why bother how it was installed even if it's dangerous?
Unfortunately they charge astronomical amounts .
I would never try and do those jobs although I can change a light bulb ( just)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top