Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 11:04 PM

Re: What is a community?

Originally Posted by PPHammer ->
He was nearly thrown out last year for fighting with another plot holder. They had a big row about something and he went home to get a chain that he was wielding round like a mad man. I am making it my priority to ensure the new lady feels welcome and stays. I am going to take her some established plants to get her started.
That is lovely of you, PPH, it such a shame when nasty individuals cause such havoc to others! Perhaps he should be reported as well to the Race Relations Board as being a racist! I do detest racism of any kind - we are all Jock Tamson's bairns at the end of the day!

Take are.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2010, 11:56 PM

Thanks for sharing that story, Azz, I think sometimes people are so used to being rejected that they don't really know how to respond to friendly interest, so they act grumpy and that just makes it worse. Sounds as if you got her out of her shell and made her feel good at sharing her stories.

I suspect PPH's character at the allotment isn't redeemable, though..sounds like a miserable old bullying insecure person who makes himself feel better by putting down others.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2010, 07:54 AM

Paul, I hate bullies. They have got me in trouble before as I always feel that I have to do something about it.
The only way is to really face up to them. If there are others there who will stand by your side confront him and tell him that he is not welcome.
If not, then constantly complain to the council and get other people to complain as well.

It is good of you to try to make the Asian lady welcome and encourage her to carry on. I wish you luck.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2010, 06:59 PM

Well!!! Today someone stole a courgette of all things - was in a large pot with one small fruit and several flowers coming.

Some people really need to get a life. One of the ladies has had some plants taken from her greenhouse too.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2010, 07:22 PM

...time to put some cctv in place methinks - catch the culprit once and for all!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2010, 07:33 PM

Do you not have an allotment committee? They should be made aware of what is going on, and of your suspicions
Horrible situation - especially as allotmenteers are generous with their produce and are usually happy to share their excesses
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2010, 07:36 PM

Yes we are bringing it up at the next meeting. I go there to relax - I can do without it and as you say - we do share things. grrrrr
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2010, 10:33 PM

This chap was probably bossed about all his working life in whatever he did for a living and now has an opportunity to do the same to others. I assume he's been at the allotment for some time and thinks he is now the boss. Nobody loves a rat but under the circumstances the best thing you can do is have him thrown out now before someone gets hurt. Nobody should have to suffer a bully like him. Keep your chin up mate!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2010, 12:50 PM

I once had six allotments covering two sites in the Headingley area of Leeds

Most plot holders were wonderful and even the odd toe rag was not a problem.

It was the scum bags who broke in that pissed me off. Raiding sheds,trashing greenhouses,slashing a polytunnel on a scheme for kids who were not the sharpest tools but tried so hard and then finally setting fire to the communal `hut`.

I miss allotments and the sharing but not all the rubbish that invade them
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2010, 04:16 PM

There never used to be problems like this with allotments years ago, what is wrong with the folk of today

I remember my Dad's allotment, everyone was so chatty and used to share ideas and produce...... these days all some people want is destruction, destruction

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top