Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Deborah2307
Weymouth Dorset
Deborah2307 is female  Deborah2307 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 09:10 PM

Re: What was your most memorable christmas.

Mine was Christmas 2005 when I married my late husband. We were married on 23rd Dec and after the service we took our granddaughter to see Father Christmas and had some photos taken there. The 24th was his birthday, we had a fabulous Christmas with all our family, how I will miss him this Christmas
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 11:07 PM

My most memorable Christmas was 1988. It wasn't a good one as we lost both our sons (aged 16 and 18) in separate circumstances over that year and also had a 2 year old daughter to take care of.

We had to "do" Christmas for our daughter (even though she wouldn't remember it) and made it as special as possible, but it was a case of having a few family and friends over for a meal and a couple of drinks, then going to bed and lying in silence for hours.

Actually, I tell a lie - Jim slept on the sofa as he was most nights throughout that period.

So it was just me lying in bed in complete silence. I couldn't even find the effort to cry, I just lay there.

I'm glad there hasn't been a Christmas as depressing as that since, I don't think I could take it again.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

2001 was mine.

I had a massive heart attack in that December, followed by unstable angina.

I had emergency surgery, only given a 1 in 3 chance of surviving it.

I woke up from a Quadruple Bypass on my 50th birthday and arrived home 3 days before Christmas.

It was the last Christmas we ever had together as a family, me, the mother of my children and my two kids.

Christmas day was lovely, even though I was on a makeshift bed in the lounge, I knew it was to be our last together so made the most of it.

I never let on to the kids what was happening.

My wife had said a very strange thing when she was allowed to see me after the heart attack, I was in ITU, wired up to everything when she came in , looked at me and said "Who will look after me now"

When I arrived home from from hospital after the Bypass she told me she was leaving, she had been seeing an old boyfriend for sometime,

We agreed not to tell the kids so as not to spoil Christmas, her new man was telling his wife after Christmas.

She left early in the New Year, three weeks before our 25th Wedding Anniversary.

I returned home from a Hospital Appointment to find the house empty, her things gone, a letter from her Solicitor on the table.

Not a Christmas I will ever forget.
A very sad but true story SF, I must say your ex wife behaved in a very hostile manner to you when you were at your lowest ebb SF, none of my business but if it had been me I would have been glad to see the back of her, who needs a wife like that?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 11:19 PM

As a family we have been through ups and downs , money problems and unemployment but the worst Christmas for me was as a child when mum thought she was doing the right thing by accepting the invitation from our aunt to stay at theirs.
Auntie had a nice house and lots of money, posh tree and decorations and very fancy food but...
The woman was like Mrs Bucket and she made the whole time miserable, sweets were rationed as was TV we were treated like victorian children seen but not heard. Then Auntie picked on dad and rather than ruining Christmas he made the excuse that he had to work kissed us all goodbye and left.
I suppose he spent Christmas day at home alone and without any of the trimmings because mum hadnt got anything in.
I have never forgiven her for her mean behaviour.

Best Christmasses have been those spent with family and having the boxing day open house we always held. People would just turn up to eat and chat anyone who didnt have a family or friends to celebrate with.. Anything up to 20 people celebrating Christmas in our living room, Christmas came alive on those days..
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2015, 11:43 PM

My happiest Christmas was when I was young, 8 or 9, we were quite poor and mum struggled to make ends meet so I didn't expect anything more than fruit and nuts in a stocking but a wonderful surprise was hiding under the tree, a Monopoly game! I was over the moon!
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 12:04 AM

[QUOTE=Honey;742618]My happiest Christmas was when I was young, 8 or 9, we were quite poor and mum struggled to make ends meet so I didn't expect anything more than fruit and nuts in a stocking but a wonderful surprise was hiding under the tree, a Monopoly game! I was over the moon![/QUOTe

Sometimes it takes such a little to make us happy---but this story reminds me of my friends daughter, aged about 9, was given a catalogue and asked to choose what she wanted---"Everything " was the reply. !!.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by ScottishCatLady ->
My most memorable Christmas was 1988. It wasn't a good one as we lost both our sons (aged 16 and 18) in separate circumstances over that year and also had a 2 year old daughter to take care of.

We had to "do" Christmas for our daughter (even though she wouldn't remember it) and made it as special as possible, but it was a case of having a few family and friends over for a meal and a couple of drinks, then going to bed and lying in silence for hours.

Actually, I tell a lie - Jim slept on the sofa as he was most nights throughout that period.

So it was just me lying in bed in complete silence. I couldn't even find the effort to cry, I just lay there.

I'm glad there hasn't been a Christmas as depressing as that since, I don't think I could take it again.
It is so sad reading these unhappy Christmas memories---I guess maybe we should all remember that Christmas time can be very painful at times.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 12:30 AM

[QUOTE=mariana;742643]
Originally Posted by Honey ->
My happiest Christmas was when I was young, 8 or 9, we were quite poor and mum struggled to make ends meet so I didn't expect anything more than fruit and nuts in a stocking but a wonderful surprise was hiding under the tree, a Monopoly game! I was over the moon![/QUOTe

Sometimes it takes such a little to make us happy---but this story reminds me of my friends daughter, aged about 9, was given a catalogue and asked to choose what she wanted---"Everything " was the reply. !!.
Times have changed, we were never asked, we got what our parents could afford, on some occasions it would be a Bunty or Diana annual and I used to be pleased as punch with that!

Todays kids are spoiled, they want top of the range electronics, laptops, phones, sadly,nobody plays simple games any more, they get what they ask for whether they deserve it or not
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 07:58 AM

My most memorable Christmas as a child was the one before my 5th birthday. The house was full of visitors so my brother and I had to share a bedroom. We woke up really early to find Santa had left a pillow case full of presents on the foot of each bed - then we noticed the message! Santa, it seemed, had a special present for each of us that was too big to carry upstairs. He had laid a trail of tinsel for us to follow all the way downstairs to the Sitting Room. My brother's special gift was a large fort complete with moat, working drawbridge, and several knights in armour. Mine was a huge superb dolls house, fully furnished, and with working lights and service bells.

My father made both of them - how on earth he managed to keep them secret I will never know - but they gave us years of pleasure.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by mariana ->
It is so sad reading these unhappy Christmas memories---I guess maybe we should all remember that Christmas time can be very painful at times.
Very true

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
My most memorable Christmas as a child was the one before my 5th birthday. The house was full of visitors so my brother and I had to share a bedroom. We woke up really early to find Santa had left a pillow case full of presents on the foot of each bed - then we noticed the message! Santa, it seemed, had a special present for each of us that was too big to carry upstairs. He had laid a trail of tinsel for us to follow all the way downstairs to the Sitting Room. My brother's special gift was a large fort complete with moat, working drawbridge, and several knights in armour. Mine was a huge superb dolls house, fully furnished, and with working lights and service bells.

My father made both of them - how on earth he managed to keep them secret I will never know - but they gave us years of pleasure.
What a wonderful, thoughtful Santa he was

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top