Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 11:31 PM

Re: The Fear Of Rejection!

I don't think I ever turned anyone down for a date, (I may have for "other things" though)!
Probably why I ended up with rubbish husbands, not picky enough!
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Just lately, l have met two men (at two separate funerals!) who have said, when they were younger that they would have loved to have asked me out but were too scared that l would say, no and they'd have felt rejected!
I was astounded, and could not believe my ears. l didn't realise, l was that scary!!
Of course, women can suffer rejection too but in my day, it was the man that asked the girl for a date.
Have you ever suffered or feared rejection in some way, or other in your life?
Hi Art,
A great idea for a thread, if I may say so... Firstly, I'm sure that it wasn't you that was scary - it was the situation that was the 'scary' bit.
Many years ago, in Oct 1962, I asked a girl out and we were together for a year. I still remember that time with happy memories... I honestly can't recall a single argument ...
She apologized when she finished the relationship. She just wanted to spread her wings a little, or maybe a lot?
I was 19 and she was 15 at that time.
in 1967 I met her on our street, said "Hi" and asked if she had any plans for that evening - I also said, "no commitments just so that we could catch up"... This is where I feared the rejection, but she was fine!
For a few months, we had occasional 'dates' - just as 'good friends', that time...
I often wonder if I should have been more confident and started the relationship again? Or was it better to have left things as they were...

We are both happily married (not to each other) and they celebrate their 47th anniversary this year...
We will be celebrating our 45th anniversary in August.
Thanks for listening.
Regards, Malc.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 11:59 PM

Perhaps when they looked at you, Angel, they realised they weren't quite in your league.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2016, 12:29 AM

I agree with JBR.
You have obviously always been a very attractive Woman Art
Some men perhaps felt you were out of their league, and would likely get a
'Thank you, but no thank you' from you.
Perhaps you might even have said...

"Can't We Be Friends?"

I took each word she said as gospel truth
The way a silly little child would.
I can't excuse it on the grounds of youth,
I was no babe in the wild, wild wood.
She didn't mean it,
I should have seen it,
But now it's too late.

I thought I'd found the girl of my dreams,
Now it seems,
This is how the story ends:
She's gonna turn me down and say,
"Can't we be friends?"

I thought for once it couldn't go wrong,
Not for long,
I can see the way this ends:
"Can't we be friends?"

Why should I care though she gave me the air,
Why should I cry,
Heave a sigh,
And wonder why,
And wonder why?

I thought I found the gal I could trust,
Watta bust, this is how the story ends:
"Can't we be just friends?"
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2016, 12:39 AM

Nom, l totally agree, it does take guts. Even now with equality, l could not ask a man for a date! I suppose, l am just old fashioned!

Take no notice of him Art. He spurns me all the time. I've got used to it now, and can smile through the pain.
Even offered to buy him lunch, but he poo'd his pants and ran off.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2016, 12:47 AM

Thank You! I'm really flattered but l honestly didn't start this thread to fish for compliments. I just thought the 'fear of rejection' would be a good subject to discuss as we have all gone through rejection at some point in our lives.
It could have been a job you applied for and didn't get, a proposal of some sort or just simply a date or a dance!
I know a 68 year old man who was adopted as a baby and is very bitter. He feels his mother, who he has never met, rejected him and he can't forgive her.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2016, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Take no notice of him Art. He spurns me all the time. I've got used to it now, and can smile through the pain.
Even offered to buy him lunch, but he poo'd his pants and ran off.
Mups, You'll have to blame the cruel females that live in packs. It's all their fault!!
Perhaps, if you offered to buy Nom a camera instead of a meal, it might just clinch a date?!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2016, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
All it taught me it was not worth the bother, rather stay single, cant be bothered to make the effort

Ah, you say that now, but you wait till I knock on the cave door on my way back from Dumfries. All agog and dumfounded you will be when you see what you have turned down all this time. You'll wish you'd made an effort then.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-06-2016, 12:59 AM

Mups, You'll have to blame the cruel females that live in packs. It's all their fault!!
Perhaps, if you offered to buy Nom a camera instead of a meal, it might just clinch a date?!!

Yes, you're probably right Art. You see, I never think of things like that and that's where I must go wrong.

BTW, What's he on about - females who live in packs??
I worry about him sometimes.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

12-06-2016, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, you're probably right Art. You see, I never think of things like that and that's where I must go wrong.

BTW, What's he on about - females who live in packs??
I worry about him sometimes.
Mups, Maybe, Nom will explain in the morning and put one of his apt pics on!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top