Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 04:08 PM

Re: Does anyone remember?

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Returning pop bottles and getting money for them?

I can't quite recall how much it was, probably pennies but it still didn't stop us kids dilligently searching for empty corona bottles to take back and get that precious money.

Do you think it would be a good idea to bring this back?
We never had bottles of pop as kids, my mother would have considered it unhealthy.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 04:13 PM

Aye ... remember it well.
The pantry was crammed with unhealthy pop bottles and yours truly would stuff them in a bag and trot off with them back to the corner shop.
Mainly shandy or dandelion & burdock (that was nice) .... mum would tell me to get a can of paraffin to heat the greenhouse and the rest was all mine.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Returning pop bottles and getting money for them?

I can't quite recall how much it was, probably pennies but it still didn't stop us kids dilligently searching for empty corona bottles to take back and get that precious money.

Do you think it would be a good idea to bring this back?
We used to go along the canal bank and look for soft drinks and beer bottles when we were kids, we usually got enough for the gang of us to go to the local cinema on Saturday afternoon.
I'd love to see returnable bottles and containers come back, but I can't see it ever happening, too much big money involved in the throw away business, they even throw the TV's away now and nothing is repaired anymore.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Did the jam jar pay for your entry into the cinema Tiffany? I've never heard of that before.
Yes they did, they were worth the price of a ticket.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
There was an Off Licence at the corner of my road. I used to hop over the wall, nick a few empties, take 'em in the shop and get the money back. Never did get caught.
Me too EZ.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 04:54 PM

SG, I think years ago, we got money back on the Corona bottles, 2d or 3d?!
There were other bottles we took back to the outdoor at the local pub and used the money to buy Oxo crisps!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 05:22 PM

We used to go into Headingley cricket ground after match, collect bottles and return them to nearby shop. Made a few pence pocket money.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 07:16 PM

I think bringing it back would be a good idea.

Add a penny or two to the cost of a bottle of pop (or whatever) and offer the same for the return of the empty bottle - plastic bottles as well as glass.

Plastic bottles could be recycled, as now, and glass bottles could be cleaned and sterilised for re-use, assuming that this is still an economically viable alternative.

Most adults wouldn't bother, of course, but young kids might be quite happy to collect empty bottles as, indeed, did we. I am, as some of you may already know, all in favour of child labour. The Victorians had the right idea.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 08:03 PM

Certainly did, also jam jars, rose hips, chopping firewood for sale, potato picking and paper rounds,anything to earn a bob or two.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Certainly did, also jam jars, rose hips, chopping firewood for sale, potato picking and paper rounds,anything to earn a bob or two.
Yes, that reminds me of when I had a paper round.

On Christmas Eve, as was usual, you could look forward to a few 'tips' when delivering papers, especially if you didn't hurry away too quickly after dropping the paper through the letterbox.

On Christmas, a friend of mine noticed me on my rounds and asked if he could take half of my papers to deliver 'to help me', and I readily agreed.

I failed to mention, however, that this was my second round of the day and that all the tips that were going had already gone into my pocket!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top