Join for free
Page 19 of 20 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 05:44 PM

Re: Utter Humiliation for Theresa May!

***Name calling post removed, stop the name calling and off topic bickering please.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
We are not suggesting that the Conservatives wouldn't do the same if the boot was on the other foot are we? Surely not.
I can't speak for others, but I am saying that anyone who is low enough to try and destroy a democratic vote, is certainly not fit to run a country!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
We are not suggesting that the Conservatives wouldn't do the same if the boot was on the other foot are we? Surely not.
In such a situation as Brexit where labour voters are just as divided as tories, they should not be using the referendum result as a vehicle. They will only alienate their own voters, even though it may be a way to topple Corbyn. I was surprised that they were all agreeing to this yesterday. It's like they will do anything to try to get into power, weakening the government and putting our future at risk is of no consequence to them.

As you know I voted remain, but labour's strategy is pure madness.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
In such a situation as Brexit where labour voters are just as divided as tories, they should not be using the referendum result as a vehicle. They will only alienate their own voters, even though it may be a way to topple Corbyn. I was surprised that they were all agreeing to this yesterday. It's like they will do anything to try to get into power, weakening the government and putting our future at risk is of no consequence to them.

As you know I voted remain, but labour's strategy is pure madness.
Well said Annie...
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 06:12 PM

Vive le revolution!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 08:59 PM

Perhaps I don't understand the UK situation correctly. In the netherlands referenda were abolished after it became more and more clear the were no addition to governmental ruling. In a democracy the chosen government rules in the common public interest. So, in theorie, decisions made should be more or less independent of the political colour. The uktimate goals are the same, the way to achieve them may differ. I agree this is a very optimistic vision, but if you believe in democracy.......
As I understand it the brexit referendum was a consultative one. Your govenrment could have said "thanks for the advice, we will take it in due consideration". Independent of the outcome, any decision on leaving or not could have been made. The voice of the people was heard.

Observing the political turmoil, both in the UK and far abroad, wouldn't it be an elegant solution to have another referendum. Binding if you like. Now, after 2 years, the voters are broader informed and can make a more considered choice.
Depending on the outcome May looses her support for further negotiations and can bow out gracefully. Or she is backed by a clear majority of the voters, and achieves a better position for negotiating a brexit deal.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->

Observing the political turmoil, both in the UK and far abroad, wouldn't it be an elegant solution to have another referendum. Binding if you like. Now, after 2 years, the voters are broader informed and can make a more considered choice.
Depending on the outcome May looses her support for further negotiations and can bow out gracefully. Or she is backed by a clear majority of the voters, and achieves a better position for negotiating a brexit deal.
It would be about as elegant as a goose going for a stroll.... the whole situation is a car crash created by Cameron who cooked his own goose.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It would be about as elegant as a goose going for a stroll.... the whole situation is a car crash created by Cameron who cooked his own goose.
Unfortunately we are the ones that will fry in the fat not him.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 10:27 PM

Perhaps I don't understand the UK situation correctly. In the netherlands referenda were abolished after it became more and more clear the were no addition to governmental ruling.
The Swiss take the opposite view.

In a democracy the chosen government rules in the common public interest.
It's rather different here in the UK. Here, the government rules in its own interest, rather like the European Commission.

As I understand it the brexit referendum was a consultative one. Your govenrment could have said "thanks for the advice, we will take it in due consideration". Independent of the outcome, any decision on leaving or not could have been made. The voice of the people was heard.
Wrong. The referendum details were worded to say that whatever the populace decided would be honoured and put in place.

Yes, I'm sure the remoaners (and other EU countries who are having to fund the shortfall of funds!) would consider that very 'elegant' indeed!
And if the outcome isn't what is wanted, best of three, best of five, best of seven, etc, until we vote to remain in your wonderful dictatorship?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 11:18 PM

In the present economic constellation there are only a few major players: USA, China, (Russia), EU. It's the EU that is able to negotiatiate profitable deals (for its members). The BNP of the UK is little more than 1% of the EU's total BNP. After brexit the UK will be a fair player, I'm sure, but what kind of player bugetwise will it be?

Page 19 of 20 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top