Join for free
Page 12 of 12 « First < 2 10 11 12
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2017, 12:33 PM

Re: Do You Say "Off Of" Rather Than Just "Off"?

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
The one that bounced off the post and got a goal.
Now, you see - I would have received a black mark for that at school and been told to write "The one that bounced off the post and scored a goal - probably about 100 times!!

Isn't language wonderful?!
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2017, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Never visit toysrus Eccles you will have a heart attack
Or Toysarus as my s-i-l calls it!

So many misplaced apostrophes, so few felt tip pens when I need them .....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2017, 10:20 AM

Please can I have my ball back? The one that bounced off the post and got a goal.
Shouldn't that be "Please may I have my ball back" ?

Pedants rule!
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2017, 04:59 PM

Oh sodding ell, keep the bloody ball then.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2017, 07:21 PM

Oh sodding ell, keep the bloody ball then.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2017, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Grammar - and it's usage - fascinates me.

Personally I would never use 'off of' - I know people who do and have always thought it to be regional thing.

To use the examples given in other posts I would say "It went in off the post" in the case of a football.

"It fell from the lorry" in the case of a loose mechanical bit - or - "It fell off the lorry" in the case of something that was part of the cargo.

"Come down from there" in the case of Cats being where they should not be.

I believe a lot depends on what was "fashionable" when at school. We had an English teacher (a relative of Bamber Gasgoine) who was totally pedantic about correct grammar and would tear her hair out if we misused phrases such as "may I" and/or "can I". She also had certain words that she loathed with a passion - for example - we were never allowed to use 'got' or 'get'. She considered them vulgar and unnecessary and we lost marks for each time they appeared in our homework essays - but they are in regular use today.

I love words/grammar and prefer it to be used correctly - but I have been told that my use of language is 'quiant' and outdated. Things evolve.
Sounds very familiar to me and I also love words/grammar

In recent years I feel I've lost some of it but I have now developed an interest in concision, hence I tend to gloss over the 'epic' posts on here.

Great scary aunt told me off for saying 'ever so' !!! (as in 'ever so good').
I was quite young, at primary school and horribly embarrassed.

Never did it again
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2017, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
One of my own personal torments is the misuse of less and fewer. I see it all the time on notices, and in Sainsbury recently it was written correctly on the wall in huge letters. Some manager (presumably) had seen fit to write it out again in front of the tills but using "less." I altered it - I know, sad or what, but I was so incensed. Beforehand I'd tried explaining that it was incorrect but the staff didn't get it. Thank the Lord the notices disappeared never to be seen again, otherwise I think I'd have had to boycottt the store.

Don't get me started on apostrophes ..........
You're not a secret Grammar Vigilante are you?!

I have a sneaking admiration for this chap:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-3945...nte-of-bristol
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2017, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
One of my own personal torments is the misuse of less and fewer. I see it all the time on notices, and in Sainsbury recently it was written correctly on the wall in huge letters. Some manager (presumably) had seen fit to write it out again in front of the tills but using "less." I altered it - I know, sad or what, but I was so incensed. Beforehand I'd tried explaining that it was incorrect but the staff didn't get it. Thank the Lord the notices disappeared never to be seen again, otherwise I think I'd have had to boycottt the store.

Don't get me started on apostrophes ..........

Also this dreadful trend to use the word AMOUNT instead of NUMBER.

Drives me NUTZ! lol
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2017, 10:00 AM

Sorry, too many pages to go through. I'm off.

Page 12 of 12 « First < 2 10 11 12

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top