Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 01:33 PM

Re: How Many Televisions Do You Have?

No they don't. Well, I don't.
But our tv measurements are still in inches. Australia has been metric for decades now, but there are still too many poms over here desperately clinging on to the ancient way of measuring.
But looking on the bright side of life...Sometimes the sizes are given in both, inches and cm.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 03:53 PM

Yes, I think we ought to go back to cubits (based on the distance from the elbow to the fingertips). The measurement being taken from an arbitrary average person. We could then all go around the television shops with our cubit measuring devices, place them across the screen and get some idea of whether the TV would fit into the available space at home.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Yes, I think we ought to go back to cubits (based on the distance from the elbow to the fingertips). The measurement being taken from an arbitrary average person. We could then all go around the television shops with our cubit measuring devices, place them across the screen and get some idea of whether the TV would fit into the available space at home.
I already do. I know that I can measure one inch using my thumb, I can measure nine inches with my hand span and six inches from thumb tip to index finger tip.

Of course, these are not comparable to those of other people, but if I need a quick means of measuring and don't have a ruler or tape measure handy, my hand will do!

I also find it easier to visualise longer distances in feet than in metres. I suppose it depends on how you were brought up. When ah wer a lad ther wer non o these metre things, and don't get me started on grams.

The Romans had the right idea.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 04:23 PM

Largest 50"
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Largest 50"
..show off
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Do they still measure the screen diagonally?
How did thaT HAPPEN?
Because the diagonal measurement tells you all you need to know about the screen.

The ratio of the sides are constant (though they have changed from 4:3 to 16:9) but Pythagoras's theorem means you can work out the sides from the just knowing the diagonal

Basically, for a modern wide screen TV it breaks down to

Height = 0.49 x Screen Size diagonal
Width = 0.87 x Screen Size diagonal
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree. I don't remember TV screens ever being measured in cm. Perhaps in Australia they do things differently.
That is purely because metrication (like decimalisation) in Britain is a case study in how NOT to do things. They completely stuffed it up from the very beginning.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Because the diagonal measurement tells you all you need to know about the screen.

The ratio of the sides are constant (though they have changed from 4:3 to 16:9) but Pythagoras's theorem means you can work out the sides from the just knowing the diagonal

Basically, for a modern wide screen TV it breaks down to

Width = 0.49 x Screen Size diagonal
Length = 0.87 x Screen Size diagonal
Everyday is a learning experience on here
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

29-11-2016, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Everyday is a learning experience on here
Except I stuffed it up - should have read:

Height = 0.49 x Screen Size diagonal
Width = 0.87 x Screen Size diagonal

I have corrected it
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2016, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
..show off

Did I mention 4 are broke

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top