Join for free
Page 12 of 15 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 01:27 PM

Re: Spring Flowers

Hi Maryl, you can grow your sunflowers outside from April but you can start them off indoors from March.
We don't have a problem with rabbits eating the seedlings but we do have collar doves and woodpigeons, so we start ours off in the greenhouse early March - they say the early ones grow taller
Lots of buds showing everywhere but my primroses look eaten and a squirrel has dug up a beautiful bronze heuchera that was in a large low container , I'm hoping to salvage enough to take cuttings.
My daffs are still only in bud.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 10:44 PM

Thanks Janela, we (grandaughter and I) will plant lots in little pots next weekend then. If you say to keep them indoors, then that's what we'll do, I haven't a clue.
The sunshine since Thursday and this rain today has done everything the world of good, even more up today, husband says we have over 300 daff bulbs out there and 200 crocus it is a lovely show. Our five squirrels don't attack anything but maybe that's because they have two large oak trees to keep them busy. Oh I do love Spring time
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2012, 12:00 AM

You've got a lot of daffs Maryl I've got quite a few in flower now and still lots more yet to flower. Whoever planted them has used lots of different varieties of daffs which is great. I just hope that they are able to flower without getting bashed around by wind and rain Mind you if they do get flattened then I can pick them for the house without feeling guilty

Your weeping willow sounds lovely especially as its over Murphy and also your other trees as well, I love witch hazel.

Janela what a shame a squirral dug up your bronze heuchera, I hope you can take cuttings from it.

Its so nice seeing everything budding and I love wandering around the garden at this time of year looking at everything budding.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2012, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
It's what to do with all that fruit, there is only so much marmalade you can cope with, it can be candied, made into liquer, my neighbour tried that but said it was horrible. There really don't seem to be many recipes for using kumquats.
Eat them with the skin, the skin is sweeter than the fruit. You can also cook chicken portions in them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/kumquat
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2012, 05:45 PM

Sounds nice Ron.

I've planted up what I could salvage from the heuchera, they are in the greenhouse for safe keeping.
I envy you the space for 300 daffs Maryl...I'd love to have my neighbours garden added to mine, it's a bit wider and quite neglected.
Odd isn't it, how we feel guilty at picking our own daffs?
Camelia and magnolia have big buds, showing colour..I love spring too
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2012, 06:04 PM

It's a big garden and he adds extra bulbs each year, they are in clumps everywhere. One year his uncle, who was a bit of a joker, gave him a coal sack of daffodil bulbs for his birthday!
This morning I noticed that the blossom is coming out on one of the apple trees, now I do know for certain that is early.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

06-03-2012, 06:37 PM

That is early for apple, I think it's normally April. It's that beautiful Dorset climate of yours
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2012, 07:08 PM

Here are some photos I took late afternoon in our garden, apart from the yellow tree. At the present time everywhere looks yellow with these trees, I'm not sure what they are, they look lovely but they have everyone sneezing and the pollen is everywhere, cars turn yellow, everywhere turns yellow!

[IMG]http://i8

This is my little Lime tree, lots of blossom so I'm hoping this year I might even get a lime or two.

clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2012, 07:10 PM

oops I lost the yellow tree, here it is:

Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

23-03-2012, 07:51 PM

That's a lovely lily, I have a similar one but it never flowers as well as yours.
The lime looks healthy, hope you get plenty of fruit. Strelitzia has such striking flowers, wish I could grow one here.
I believe the tree is mimosa.

Page 12 of 15 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top