Join for free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 10:49 AM

Wars, Virus? Raise a glass for the Families.

We are, quite rightly, paying our respects to those who fought for us in the various wars.

I'd like to raise a special glass to the families,

In those times, often with key members away doing the fighting, families would be experiencing life in air raid shelters, listening to the bombs dropping, and hoping that they could, somehow get through it all, in times of strict food rationing, no National Health Service, little money to live on.

Lots of those, out there fighting, did not get to come home. That would lead on to families being broken for years to come.

So, I raise a glass to them and another to those, in our 21st century, who will be facing the new sort of struggle brought about by a virus.

Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 11:03 AM

Re: Wars, Virus? Raise a glass for the Families.

Ted, Your post reminded me of someone telling me they used to go to the Cenotaph every year to pay their respects to those who died to save us and give us a better life.
One year, she was standing next to an elderly lady who lost her four sons in the war. So, so sad and what no mother, father should ever have to go through.

War is a noisy killer and the Virus is a silent killer....
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 01:00 PM

Re: Wars, Virus? Raise a glass for the Families.

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
We are, quite rightly, paying our respects to those who fought for us in the various wars.

I'd like to raise a special glass to the families,

In those times, often with key members away doing the fighting, families would be experiencing life in air raid shelters, listening to the bombs dropping, and hoping that they could, somehow get through it all, in times of strict food rationing, no National Health Service, little money to live on.

Lots of those, out there fighting, did not get to come home. That would lead on to families being broken for years to come.

So, I raise a glass to them and another to those, in our 21st century, who will be facing the new sort of struggle brought about by a virus.

God bless them all Tedc. Art, I imagine what it must have felt like to lose one's son or daughter during those dreadful years and it sends a shiver through me at the thought of what they endured. Yes, we have a silent killer among us all at the moment, but to kiss your loved one goodbye and not know if they would be returning or whether you would ever see them again ? Truly dreadful.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top