Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

08-07-2011, 09:26 PM

Somme Anniversary

Last week (1st July) saw the 95th anniversary of the start of the Battle of the Somme.
To my shame I only thought about it when I saw it posted elsewhere.
I just had to go and find all the stuff that grandad left me. He returned from that hell hole and others like it, which in itself was a miracle as so many were left behind.

I have little of any interest to most, the odd photo and letter home to my grandma. His secret pocket watch that would not tell you the time then and even after all these years later it keeps it quiet.

Memories though, the mornings spent in the lean-to that served as the kitchen, where he performed the ritual cleaning of the family footwear. The extraordinary boot cleaning paraphernalia, brushes, cloths and polish, all neatly housed in a wooden box.

Most of all, he delighted in regaling me with the songs he and his mates aired whenever possible. He only adopted the clean versions when Bertha was within earshot.
Priceless, to me at any rate.

I have found one or two ,all clean.

When This Lousy War is Over

Whiter than the Whitewash on the Wall

Ragtime Infantry
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2011, 09:47 PM

Re: Somme Anniversary

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Last week (1st July) saw the 95th anniversary of the start of the Battle of the Somme.
To my shame I only thought about it when I saw it posted elsewhere.
I just had to go and find all the stuff that grandad left me. He returned from that hell hole and others like it, which in itself was a miracle as so many were left behind.

I have little of any interest to most, the odd photo and letter home to my grandma. His secret pocket watch that would not tell you the time then and even after all these years later it keeps it quiet.

Memories though, the mornings spent in the lean-to that served as the kitchen, where he performed the ritual cleaning of the family footwear. The extraordinary boot cleaning paraphernalia, brushes, cloths and polish, all neatly housed in a wooden box.

Most of all, he delighted in regaling me with the songs he and his mates aired whenever possible. He only adopted the clean versions when Bertha was within earshot.
Priceless, to me at any rate.

I have found one or two ,all clean.

When This Lousy War is Over

Whiter than the Whitewash on the Wall

Ragtime Infantry
It's good you have these things to remember you Grandad by Hammer. I hope my Grandchildren think fondly of me when I am gone . I think that is the best legacy anyone can leave, to be missed and remembered.

My Grampa was in the battle of the Somme too, he was one of the lucky ones who came home. His brother Joe was there as well and not so lucky, all that was found of him was a tiny bible containing a photograph of his nephews, my Dad and Uncle.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2011, 10:35 PM

It's nice to have a few items of your Beloved Grandfather's Hammer. My Grandad was killed in the great war also, there is a photo of him and his brother(also killed) in uniform with one of my Brothers, I must ask for a copy to show my two Grandsons.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2011, 04:37 PM

Touching story, Hammer, lovely memories. Thanks for sharing that,
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2011, 04:43 PM

Lovely memories Hammer...
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2011, 04:58 PM

Thank you Hammer, I hadn't realised the date either. Jim, I'm sorry you lost your Grandad, a terrible time indeed. My Grandad was at Ypres and lucky to come back home with a piece of shrapnel in his leg. As the oldest grandchild I asked him a couple of times about the Great War but not once, ever, did he speak of it. I realise now that he wasn't able to, the memories must have been too horrific in those trenches. All I've been told is that he married my Nan quickly before he went and was very young, as most of them were.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Thank you Hammer, I hadn't realised the date either. Jim, I'm sorry you lost your Grandad, a terrible time indeed. My Grandad was at Ypres and lucky to come back home with a piece of shrapnel in his leg. As the oldest grandchild I asked him a couple of times about the Great War but not once, ever, did he speak of it. I realise now that he wasn't able to, the memories must have been too horrific in those trenches. All I've been told is that he married my Nan quickly before he went and was very young, as most of them were.
Mary my Grampa would never speak of the war either, he got injured with mustard gas and his lungs always caused him problems afterwards.

With the advent of the internet I was able to find details of my Uncle Joe's grave
http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=118233
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2011, 07:42 PM

Meg, it's all there isn't it? Rank, number etc.... so sad.
It must have been awful for them to watch their own sons go to war years later. I don't know how to find any records of Grandad's time there.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

09-07-2011, 08:08 PM

Meg, it's all there isn't it? Rank, number etc.... so sad.
It must have been awful for them to watch their own sons go to war years later. I don't know how to find any records of Grandad's time there.
Mary I expect his regiment may have some details in their archive, there may be something on the net, it's knowing where to look.
It is comparatively easy to find details of those killed in action.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

09-07-2011, 08:37 PM

Our Grandad would never talk about it despite my constant barrage of questions, except that is to tell me that he had the finest pals it was possible to have.

My dad also never said too much about what he had been up to except when the lads all came round. I know he would do his pieces to see a tap left running and water being wasted. Ma often used to say he had returned a very bitter man who felt badly let down as the job he left to go on his excursions was gone when he came back.

It seems that little has changed in that respect.
I do remember him seeing me in uniform for the first time, it bought a tear to his eye.

I am not sure if it was the length of the skirt on my girl guides outfit or perhaps the high heels that affected him so.
Either way, he could still run faster than me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top