Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 01:06 PM

Children's names

As grace is at a private school we hear many odd names going through the school gates, one young lad is Jimmy not odd you say but his surname is choo ! Place names are popular and food names. I was thinking the other day as I heard parents calling for their children just need a banana and you've got a great fruit salad

Then the made up names, pixeline, bubblet, and cachette to name but three.

Grace seems quite boring in comparison, but I'm very glad her mum chose a name she can take through her entire life because some of these kids are going to suffer in later life IMO

Do you like the new craze for strange names for kids ? Or are you a traditionalist like me ?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 01:19 PM

Re: Children's names

https://www.motherandbaby.co.uk/baby...es-for-2017-uk

According to new data from the Office of National Statistics, Olivia and Amelia are the most popular baby names in England and Wales. Whether you're looking for a popular girls name, or a more unusual baby name, have a browse through this list.
  1. Olivia: An elaboration of Olive, Olivia means ‘olive tree’. Naming your baby after a symbol of peace is never a bad idea and if you get a surprise on the day, Oliver is also officially the most popular boys name in England and Wales.
  2. Amelia: Popular in many different languages, in English, Amelia is a variant of Amalia, meaning ‘work’. With industrious connotations, your Amelia could be the top of the class in no time!
  3. Emily: Maybe it was Emily Blunt’s appearance in the recent Blockbuster The Girl on the Train, or fans of Emily Brontë that have kept the name in the popular list. Meaning ‘striving’ and ‘eager’, the name has been popular since the 20th Century and isn’t showing any signs of stopping.
  4. Isla: Despite being the fourth most popular girls name in England and Wales, Isla actually has Scottish routes. In Scotland, the name means 'island' or 'from the river' - there are two rivers named Isla in Scotland. We love the cute feel to this name.
  5. Ava: Reese Witherspoon recently posted selfies with her lookalike daughter Ava and the world went mad (for the selfies and the name). Meaning ‘bird’, it was made popular by the wonderful Ava Gardener.
  6. Isabella: A name that has been increasing in popularity for the past few years, Isabella is a variation of the more traditional Elizabeth, meaning ‘devoted to God’. Don’t let the popularity put you off, you could always shorten to Bella or Izzy.
  7. Lily: Another beautiful English flower name, the Lily is a symbol of purity and innocence in Christianity. With a famous celebrity fan base including Johnny Depp, Kate Beckinsale and Harry Potter.
  8. Jessica: A Hebrew name meaning 'rich, God beholds', this is a name that has risen in popularity over the past few years. Cute nicknames include Jess and Jessie.
  9. Ella: Meaning ‘light’, Ella is often a shortened version of Eleanor or Ellen. Rest assured, if you pick this as a name for your little one, you’ll have a Cinderella fan for life. This name is also set to grow in popularity in the latter half of 2017 thanks to George and Amal Clooney!
  10. Mia: If it’s good enough for Kate Winslet, it’s good enough for us. A short version of Maria, meaning ‘wished for child’, this Latin name was made popular by American actress and model, Mia Farrow.
  11. Sophia: Meaning ‘wisdom’, we love this exotic sounding baby girls name, which is steadily rising in popularity at the moment.
  12. Charlotte: Princess Charlotte may only be coming up to her second birthday, but she’s already causing a stir. This already popular name saw a spike in the last couple of years, meaning ‘free-man’, it’s now got the royal stamp of approval too.
  13. Poppy: Meaning ‘from the flower’, Poppy is rising in popularity. Often chosen for little girls born around Remembrance Day, famous Poppy’s include supermodel Cara Delevigne’s sister and Jamie Oliver’s daughter Poppy Honey Oliver.
  14. Sophie: Meaning ‘wisdom’, Sophie is another version of the Greek name Sophia. Frequently appearing on popular baby-names lists, Sophie is thought to be a lively, yet down to earth kind of girl.
  15. Grace: Rising in popularity once again, Grace is a simple English name, meaning ‘God’s favour’. Chosen by celebs such as Mark Wahlberg and made famous by the beautiful Grace Kelly, this name looks set to rise this year.
  16. Evie: It’s been on our popular list for years, a diminutive of ‘Eve’, meaning ‘life’ or ‘living one’.
  17. Alice: A name that has been used in Britian since 12th Century and grew in popularity after Lewis Carol's heroine 'Alice in Wonderland', this classic name is still popular today. Meaning 'of the nobility' this is the perfect name for your little princess.
  18. Scarlett: With Scarlett Johansson giving this name all the glamour it deserves, Scarlett is set to be a popular choice this year. Meaning ‘red’, the name is commonly spelt with one or two t’s.
  19. Freya: Meaning ‘a noble woman’, hopefully your new arrival will live up to her powerful name.
  20. Florence: Whether you're a huge fan of 'Florence and the Machine', or just love the nickname Flossie, this cute name, meaning 'to flower' is definitely rising in poprularity this year.

..... and 'Grace' is there amongst all those lovely (mostly traditional) names .....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 01:40 PM

I wonder if Gladys or Ethel will ever come back into fashion?

I don't like either but I do prefer traditional names to the silly new ones.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->

My mother's name was Gladys
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
My mother's name was Gladys
So was my aunt, and she was lovely...I just didn't like her name.
My mum was Emily....and look how popular that name has been recently.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 01:53 PM

I am reminded of ""Don't look, Ethel!" But it was too late. She'd already been mooned." .....
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 02:02 PM

Gladys Ethel Phyllis Maisie Maude Ivy Hattie Doris Flossie Daisy ...all aunts and great aunts in my family and three of those names given to recently born babies I can think of!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

06-10-2017, 02:42 PM

I had great-aunts called Lou, Nellie and Fanny ..... along with the more usual Ivy, Ruby and Dot .....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 03:16 PM

And the more unusual the name, the more it's called out in a crowded supermarket, or the mum or nan writes up to a magazine, with a photo/story of the child. To me, that is a form of bragging...'look/listen up everybody...we have a very unusual name in the family! Aren't we clever?'
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 03:17 PM

Thank God no-one followed Victoria Beckam's idea of naming her son after the town/city/place of conception....there'd be some strange names like Renault Clio, Back Seat of Number 9 bus, Behind Spar.

It's possible my daughter would have been called In a Field Next To Silverstone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top