Join for free
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2017, 02:12 PM

Itchy dog

Elsie gets a summer itch, she's on antihistamines and I'm using a shampoo from the vet. But I just wondered what anyone else has used shampoo wise for a slightly allergic doggie.

Once pollens over she is fine but we like to use a gentle shampoo all year and the one from the vet seems like over kill in the winter.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2017, 02:34 PM

Re: Itchy dog

As you know, there are many reasons for a dog itching, so depends on the reason to find the answer really.

Didn't you say somewhere that Nathan has been taking them to a new place to walk them? I am wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Perhaps something growing there that is an irritant? Or someone sprayed?

Have you changed their food recently?

Some are allergic to flea saliva and it only takes one flea to start them off itching.

What about washing powder you wash their bedding in, is that different?

Very often it is grass allergies though. Longer grass that touches their bellies as they run through it can do it especially.

I would wipe their whole body over with a damp towel as soon as they come home to remove pollens as much as possible - and don't forget their feet particularly.

There is such a vast array of shampoos on the market now, you could perhaps look at these places:

https://animal-health.co.uk/animals/...FQ4R0wodyMcFrg

or www.petcetera.co.uk

Or these people, Lintbells, are lovely to deal with and they do an Omega oil supplement for itchy skin.

http://www.lintbells.com/dog-health/...mega-itchy-dog
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2017, 02:51 PM

It comes every year about same time, mups, may comes around pollens start and Elsie begins itching, vet says he's sure it's pollen but as there are so many he's reluctant to put her through allergy testing especially as there is not much you can do about many pollens.

It's funny late Duncan used to start itching in March and that was tree pollen, we seem destined to have itchy scratchy dogs.

I only use liquid soap flakes for washing and cleaning I can't get any milder.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2017, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It comes every year about same time, mups, may comes around pollens start and Elsie begins itching, vet says he's sure it's pollen but as there are so many he's reluctant to put her through allergy testing especially as there is not much you can do about many pollens.

It's funny late Duncan used to start itching in March and that was tree pollen, we seem destined to have itchy scratchy dogs.

I only use liquid soap flakes for washing and cleaning I can't get any milder.

Think I'd be tempted to try a gentle shampoo with oatmeal Julie, and a conditioner afterwards too.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-07-2017, 03:00 PM

Ah now you've reminded me of a shampoo I used years ago I made it myself out of oatmeal and honey, used to use it on late Rosie who had no hair when we got her from flea bites, I will make some of that up see it that helps. If it doesn't it's edible too
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-07-2017, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Ah now you've reminded me of a shampoo I used years ago I made it myself out of oatmeal and honey, used to use it on late Rosie who had no hair when we got her from flea bites, I will make some of that up see it that helps. If it doesn't it's edible too

Worth a try ey.

I'd definitely wipe that pollen off her coat when she comes home too.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-07-2017, 03:04 PM

Yes she has a sprinkle with the hose when she gets back from walks, she is so used to that she sits by the tap and waits for us to turn it on, then steps into the towel and throws herself down to waggle all over it.

Mrs wiggly waggles should have been her name, she's called it more often than Elsie these days.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top