Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2017, 04:55 PM

Am I too young to enjoy gardening?

Cos I hate it.

I like a nice garden but all that planting, feeding, tending and mowing. ..no thank you.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2017, 05:16 PM

Re: Am I too young to enjoy gardening?

So what's your garden like now Tpin?

Do you do it in spite of hating it or do you employ somebody to do the hard work?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2017, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Cos I hate it.

I like a nice garden but all that planting, feeding, tending and mowing. ..no thank you.
Probably. I'm not a fan of all the hard work either, I just want to sit in it really but to get there I have to create it first.

If the previous owners hadn't used rubbish grass seeds, I wouldn't be out there digging it all up at the moment. If I had known, I would have gladly given them the extra fiver for a decent pack.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2017, 05:33 PM

You;re not alone, I can't stand gardening either and I'm of the age where all my mates just love it. It's hard on the back, makes your fingernails and hands filthy (I know, wear gloves) and far too close to worms and slugs for my liking. My pal insists tomatoes and fruit "taste better" when you've slaved for months to grow them but so far I see no difference whatsoever, and who wants a ton of anything all at the same time?

I've no grass either, just ornamental slate and pebbles, plus some shrubs which don't need much attention. My garden's for sitting reading in with a glas of something, not for working in thanks very much.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2017, 05:44 PM

I love gardening, always have, but I can see why some wouldn't, it's hard work and back breaking at times - You'll have to shell out and get someone else to do it, Tpin.
Most of my neighbours where we just moved from have a gardener every couple of weeks or so. They're much older than you though, I think.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2017, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
So what's your garden like now Tpin?

Do you do it in spite of hating it or do you employ somebody to do the hard work?
A friend does it for me.....though I did have plans to do a big pond (20'x15') myself but my back op has meant I've had to put it off for a few months.

Originally Posted by eccles ->
You;re not alone, I can't stand gardening either and I'm of the age where all my mates just love it. It's hard on the back, makes your fingernails and hands filthy (I know, wear gloves) and far too close to worms and slugs for my liking. My pal insists tomatoes and fruit "taste better" when you've slaved for months to grow them but so far I see no difference whatsoever, and who wants a ton of anything all at the same time?

I've no grass either, just ornamental slate and pebbles, plus some shrubs which don't need much attention. My garden's for sitting reading in with a glas of something, not for working in thanks very much.
Yep, pretty much describes me.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2017, 06:52 PM

There can be something satisfying in being on your hands and knees, pulling up weeds! I was talking today to someone and we agree it can be a stress buster.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2017, 07:10 PM

I have been doing tons of geardening lately and it's a pain in the butt.
I have spent far more on compost and stuff that it will cost me in buying veggies in the supermarkets .
But I hope to recoup all this effort with fresh tomatoes lettuce peas and onions .
Anyway that is the therory !!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2017, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have been doing tons of geardening lately and it's a pain in the butt.
I have spent far more on compost and stuff that it will cost me in buying veggies in the supermarkets .
But I hope to recoup all this effort with fresh tomatoes lettuce peas and onions .
Anyway that is the therory !!!
Tell me about it Muddy I recon the cost of my raised beds would keep me in veggies for a year.

I look upon the cost of the garden as the equivalent to belonging to a gym , I am sure the garden provides as much exercise.

It will all be worth it when we are picking our tasty produce
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Cos I hate it.

Just how young are you?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top