Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 03:30 PM

Pastry Mix

I decided to make a pie for dinner tonight. Using the lazy way I opened a packet of McDougals shortcrust pastry mix, sell by date 21st February 2017. I cut the top off the packet and there were sort of cobwebby things hanging down the sides and what looked like little black ants running around in the mix. Unfortunately I can't remember which shop I bought it in, one of the English ones I'm sure, but there was only a price sticker on it. So into a bag it went, tied tightly and off to the outside bin.

Quite a lot of people have had problems this year with sealed packets of dried goods, finding crawly things in them. Presumably it's down to the humidity we have had this year, but it does make you wonder just what sneaks through when goods are being processed.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 03:36 PM

Re: Pastry Mix

We had a problem once with flour in a flat we lived in we were advised to really clean the cupboards and kitchen, bleach and steam cleaning recommended, or they can come back. It makes you feel really awful for a while I found so you have my greatest sympathy.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I decided to make a pie for dinner tonight. Using the lazy way I opened a packet of McDougals shortcrust pastry mix, sell by date 21st February 2017. I cut the top off the packet and there were sort of cobwebby things hanging down the sides and what looked like little black ants running around in the mix. Unfortunately I can't remember which shop I bought it in, one of the English ones I'm sure, but there was only a price sticker on it. So into a bag it went, tied tightly and off to the outside bin.

Quite a lot of people have had problems this year with sealed packets of dried goods, finding crawly things in them. Presumably it's down to the humidity we have had this year, but it does make you wonder just what sneaks through when goods are being processed.
Hi

Some people are never satisfied.

All that free protein and still they complain.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 04:15 PM

Loretta I posted in another thread about opening a packet of organic bread flour and a flour moth flew out

I contacted the company and they replaced the flour 8 fold .
It seems despite manufacturers best efforts these things happen at times
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 04:36 PM

There's been a big problem here with those moths, (pantry moths I think they are called). People have been finding maggots in their cupboards and the moths. We had problems with them earlier this year, I literally chucked out almost everything in the cupboards, including the plastic containers I could see the damned moths in. I've seen the moths in some of the shops too. They just look like little white moths when flying, but when they land they have black tips on their wings.

I now have little boxes with sticky stuff inside, they have pheromones in them, I have then stuck all over the kitchen. For a few weeks I was having to change them every week, you would not believe the numbers of moths stuck on them. I replaced them all 2 weeks ago and not one moth on any of them, so far at least.

I got really paranoid, I must have the cleanest cupboards in Spain, they were getting washed out every day for weeks. This is the first time I have had, whatever they were, inside a sealed plastic/polythene packet though.

The moth trap things seem to work, nothing else seems to get in them, only the moths.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

12-11-2016, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Some people are never satisfied.

All that free protein and still they complain.
Very true swimfeeders, but I don't fancy eating things with wings and wiggly legs.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

12-11-2016, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We had a problem once with flour in a flat we lived in we were advised to really clean the cupboards and kitchen, bleach and steam cleaning recommended, or they can come back. It makes you feel really awful for a while I found so you have my greatest sympathy.
Thanks Julie. I admit I felt a whole lot better when I knew others were having the same problem.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

12-11-2016, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Loretta I posted in another thread about opening a packet of organic bread flour and a flour moth flew out

I contacted the company and they replaced the flour 8 fold .
It seems despite manufacturers best efforts these things happen at times
I might have contacted the company if I was in UK Meg, but it hardly seemed worth it for what cost a couple of euros. In Kenya I could buy a bag of flour and an hour later it would be crawling with weavels. Humidity has a lot to answer for I think.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2016, 06:06 PM

I've had bags of flour with flour weevils in before now. To be fair they were bags that were opened & probably opened a long while, as I don't do much baking at all. I just threw them away.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 10:12 AM

Oooh clumsy, l bet that was a bit of a shock for you!
I have seen weevils in flour in the past....and mouse droppings!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top