Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 03:53 PM

Fairy Tales

Don't know what made me think of all the fairy tales most of us grew up with, like Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Little Red Riding Hood etc, but I did wonder if anyone ever writes new ones?

Will your grandchildrens children still be read those old ones, Grimms Fairytales and the like, or will new ones have been written for the future?

I haven't any grandchildren, and there are no babies in the family now, so I am out of touch with what is read to toddlers these days. Who will be tomorrow's Enid Blyton I wonder, or will tomorrow's kids not be interested?
Just musing like . . .
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 03:59 PM

Re: Fairy Tales

Most of the fairy tales had hidden meaning, I attended a talk on the subject of fairy tales this year..

I dont think there will be anymore fairy tales Mups that age as disappeared.
The Gruffalos was read to my GC.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Most of the fairy tales had hidden meaning, I attended a talk on the subject of fairy tales this year..

I dont think there will be anymore fairy tales Mups that age as disappeared.
The Gruffalos was read to my GC.

What do you mean Eliza? Was it creepy or something?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
What do you mean Eliza? Was it creepy or something?
http://flavorwire.com/344667/the-dis...us-fairy-tales
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Don't know what made me think of all the fairy tales most of us grew up with, like Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Little Red Riding Hood etc, but I did wonder if anyone ever writes new ones?

Will your grandchildrens children still be read those old ones, Grimms Fairytales and the like, or will new ones have been written for the future?

I haven't any grandchildren, and there are no babies in the family now, so I am out of touch with what is read to toddlers these days. Who will be tomorrow's Enid Blyton I wonder, or will tomorrow's kids not be interested?
Just musing like . . .
I've read a few fairy tales on here Mups
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

17-07-2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I've read a few fairy tales on here Mups
I bet I can guess which ones
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 04:54 PM

I bought my youngest granddaughter a book of fairy tales to read to her when I used to have her all day. I had forgotten how gruesome some were (like Snow white being taken to the woods to be killed and the woodcutter taking an animals entrails back to show she was dead ) .
I had to edit it a fair bit when reading it.

These days you are always safe with the wonderful 'Room on the broom' /The Gruffalo etc lady Julia Donaldson (and Axel Scheffler her illustrator) . All children seem to love her books .

Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 05:11 PM

Just waiting for the
"I grew up with all those great old (gory) tales and it didn't do me any harm"

Same is often said about canes in schools, racist language and dogs licking kids mouths.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top