Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 05:06 PM

Home schooling

Has anyone home schooled their children?

I home schooled our Down's Syndrome son, as we weren't happy with the schools for kids with special educational needs in our area. I asked the school inspectors to check on how I was doing, and they said our lad was getting a very good education.

Our middle daughter home schools her two lads. The eldest (14) has Asperger's syndrome and there is no way he could have coped with life at secondary school. He is sitting some of his GCSEs this year, and has the ability to get A* in all of them providing he doesn't let his anxiety syndrome, from which he also suffers, get the better of him. His younger brother (11), who is also very intelligent, has atypical dyslexia and is doing much better at home than he did at school.

Our daughter has inspectors in periodically to check on the boys' progress. They seem to think they are doing well.

I am of the opinion that children who are home schooled should be subject to regular inspections, it isn't compulsory at present. Some fall through the net entirely, and are not being well taught, as well as being abused by their parents, with no one to check on what is going on.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 05:10 PM

Re: Home schooling

Agree with your last paragraph
Home schooling is fine in my opinion
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 05:15 PM

Home schooled children must not be isolated from other kids. My grandsons do a lot of outside activities where they meet up with others.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Agree with your last paragraph
Home schooling is fine in my opinion
When I retired I taught maths to a young girl who was being home schooled by her mother. I only have one reservation about it is that such children are missing the rough and tumble of mixing with lots of other children.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

19-02-2016, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
When I retired I taught maths to a young girl who was being home schooled by her mother. I only have one reservation about it is that such children are missing the rough and tumble of mixing with lots of other children.
It doesn't apply to our grandsons as they mix with plenty of other children in the clubs to which the belong.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Home schooled children must not be isolated from other kids. My grandsons do a lot of outside activities where they meet up with others.
That's good to hear - everything covered by the looks of it
The should blossom
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

19-02-2016, 05:55 PM

That can be true - need to get the whole venture right
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 06:01 PM

I would agree with that school is not just for academic learning but how to interact with others.
However if parents feel that they are competent to teach their children that is up to them .
I know of one women who taught all her children but they were in the middle of Africa ( they all went to university) afterwards .
Other home schooled children seem to be at home for social reasons of one kind or another .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2016, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Yes, but often the children at schools in the area have already made friends with the children at their schools leaving out a child who haven't got that contact.
My Son was at a special school in Plymouth, taken there by taxi each day & brought home after. He didn't make many friends in our area due to this. It was better for him when my Daughter was old enough to play with the local children, she took him with her. He made a few friends then.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 12:32 AM

It would not be my choice of education, unless of course a child cannot function in a school enviroment.

School prepares them for more than an academic life, it teaches intergration into society and how to interact with peers and how to deal with day to day challenges. Seems to me they are, by and large, isolated from all of that. Children don't need protection from life, just how to live with their surroundings.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top