Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 06:20 PM

Sugar tax not ruled out by David Cameron

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35256647

Changed his tune as he said otherwise not so long ago.

Originally Posted by BBC
Number 10 previously said he "doesn't see a need for a tax on sugar".

In October a report by Public Health England recommended a tax of between 10 and 20% on high-sugar products as one of the measures needed to achieve a "meaningful" reduction in sugar consumption.

Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver has also campaigned for such a move, while a new study in the British Medical Journal said Mexico's sugary drinks tax led to a 12% reduction in sales.
Obviously he (they) have come to the conclusion it is the only thing that will work. Expect it soon I reckon.

I've only just received 4KG of chocs .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 06:29 PM

Re: Sugar tax not ruled out by David Cameron

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35256647

Changed his tune as he said otherwise not so long ago.

Obviously he (they) have come to the conclusion it is the only thing that will work. Expect it soon I reckon.

I've only just received 4KG of chocs .
Send them to some off-shore island Mark then you won't have to pay tax on them. By the way, Kettering is an off-shore island !
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 06:31 PM

I might be pilloried for saying this but can someone please tell me in simple terms why cannot the manufacturers be penalised financially for their over use of sugar and sugar substitutes ,why does it have to be put on the ordinary "joe public" as a tax on sugar ?
We arnt the ones adding the sugar to everything!!!!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 06:39 PM

Good point Aysa!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I might be pilloried for saying this but can someone please tell me in simple terms why cannot the manufacturers be penalised financially for their over use of sugar and sugar substitutes ,why does it have to be put on the ordinary "joe public" as a tax on sugar ?
We arnt the ones adding the sugar to everything!!!!!
Same thing as the cost will be passed on. YOU will pay as that is the whole point to stop us from buying so much of foods with sugar in. It will make certain foods more expensive - think of the price hike with regard to cigarettes.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Same thing as the cost will be passed on. YOU will pay as that is the whole point to stop us from buying so much of foods with sugar in. It will make certain foods more expensive - think of the price hike with regard to cigarettes.
But WE arnt the ones adding the sugar MJK....we can only buy whats available cant we?
Everything always comes down to taxing the ordinary little man on the street ,makes you sick!!!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

07-01-2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
But WE arnt the ones adding the sugar MJK....we can only buy whats available cant we?
Everything always comes down to taxing the ordinary little man on the street ,makes you sick!!!
It is the way of the world I'm afraid. It has been proven we cannot be left to our own devices (trusted in other words) so we have to have these 'controls' applied for our own good.

Thing is what is it we want at the end of the day? Are we willing to go without some sugar and have a healthier life along with the chance to actually have an NHS in the future? The alternative is that the NHS will totally collapse. This is but one step that is needed - there are more hardships to come I should think.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

07-01-2016, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Send them to some off-shore island Mark then you won't have to pay tax on them. By the way, Kettering is an off-shore island !
I've had a nasty pay cut lately so my dreams of off-shore islands and the need for tax havens have been been shelved at the moment . I'm in the process of restructuring. Google and myself are not good bedfellows it seems. Barely making a living at present .
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 10:36 PM

I think I'd lose the will to live if I couldn't eat chocolate
Tuppy
South East England
Tuppy is female  Tuppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2016, 10:58 PM

I control my sugar and choose where I get it from as a diet controlled diabetic. I look at sugar and carbs most importantly and how the two interact in breaking down the sugars in your body.

I do have sugar but not in the refined form but from natural sources, but I choose what I eat. I read labels too.

I've been a diet controlled diabetic for about 17 years now, so must be doing something right as I've not had to go onto medication.

Taxing sugar would not affect me, but what I think we need is much better education into what sugar is and where it can be found. Maybe a reduction in prices of healthy foods would be a start which would be an encouragement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top