Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2015, 02:03 AM

Tipping

What do you think about tipping? In Australia few people tip much unless the service is exceptionally good as hospitality/service people get decent living wages here.

We're going on a cruise from here to New Zealand later this month and the subject has come up again - we've been sent 'a guide to tipping'. It's an American line (Royal Caribbean) and they set out what you should tip cabin and dining staff. I know they do it because they don't pay well and then they can advertise a cheap cruise cost but it does annoy me.

Do you tip when travelling?
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2015, 02:18 AM

Re: Tipping

I'm with you, Jay.
Only if the service has been exceptional.
Or the tippee has big boobs.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2015, 02:40 AM

Oh heck! When I first came to Canada I completely forgot that tipping was the norm in this part of the world (NZ bred, and was in Aussie for 5 years), and got my fair share of 'looks' when I didn't tip.
That was a long time ago, and I still hate the notion that I 'have' to tip.
If I get service, fair enough. But we're still expected to tip even when we don't. I understand that most rely on tips, but heck, if I don't get good service, why should I?
Do what you're comfy with Jay!
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2015, 03:10 AM

In restaurants I tip 20%. Most waiters are hard working and they live off their tips. So if I can help them I will
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2015, 03:35 AM

Even if the food and/or service has been crap ?

Surely not - that would be encouraging mediocrity.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2015, 03:58 AM

What I really, really hate is when a restaurant includes the tip in the bill - it's usually 20-25%. I think it is poor business practice to do so.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2015, 06:04 AM

I usually tip in restaurants and pubs unless it's expensive in the first place.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2015, 07:13 AM

I tip according to the service and if the food/service has been awful then no I wont tip and hate it if the tip in included via a service charge.

When Dad was 65 (20 years ago) there were about 9 of us who went out for a meal to celebrate. The young waitress was great she was there at the table helping out clearing space and making sure dad was waited on hand and foot .. She made that evening extra special we left her £30-
My normal tip is a couple of pounds though..
I tip delivery drivers who are nice and carry heavy boxes indoors for me or who wait and take all the cardboard and packing stuff away with them.
I tip my hairdresser, I know she is a single mum who has to work really hard to make ends meet.

I think tipping just shows your appreciation of decent or extra service and it shouldnt be standard.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2015, 08:55 AM

On the one & only cruise with P&O, tipping seemed to be obligatory. It was very discreet however and the idea was to put your tip in an envelope and give it to the person. Well of course Tony loved this - he thought he could get away with putting a really low amount in the envelope and nobody would know. I intercepted it and slipped in an extra £10 when he wasn't looking.

On our recent three night break at Warner's Hotel the waitress was very pleasant but not really efficient. We were there with friends and after discussing it we decided to give her £5 from the four of us. I don't know if she expected more or not but that was all she was worth. She only got a tip at all because of her pleasant personality.

If Tony & I are on our own he never tips but sometimes I slip them one if he isn't looking...
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2015, 09:42 AM

Tipping on cruises puts me off of booking another one, seeing as the single supplement can be hefty too. I think it's outrageous.

I do tip various people, but not all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top