Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2015, 11:11 AM

Personal Number Plates..

Does anyone know the drill for returning a car to it's original number plates?
I am thinking of getting a newer car but it has personal plates on it. Who's responsibilty is it to sort this out? Me as the new owner or should the previous owner have done it before she traded it in?
I don't want to be jumped on by the police and charged for this.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2015, 11:20 AM

Re: Personal Number Plates..

Why would you get 'jumped on by the police'? The number plate belongs to the car if it is still registered with that number.
If the seller has had another set of plates with the personalised number made for a new car, then I expect they would have to re register the car you have bought from them.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2015, 11:25 AM

If the owner wants to keep the number it is down to them to change it with the DVLA, otherwise the plate stays with the car.
Chris99
Glasgow
Chris99 is female  Chris99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2015, 11:28 AM

Hi Roxy, if you go onto the DVLA web site..make sure it's the Gov UK one that you open, you will get all the info you need. The seller of the vehicle will have given you the relevant documents (I hope) for the transfer of the car to your name.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2015, 11:30 AM

So would DVLA inform me of this if she did keep the number ? I don't want to get caught out driving a car who's number plate is not valid..
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

26-07-2015, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chris99 ->
Hi Roxy, if you go onto the DVLA web site..make sure it's the Gov UK one that you open, you will get all the info you need. The seller of the vehicle will have given you the relevant documents (I hope) for the transfer of the car to your name.
I don't have the car yet, was just wondering about this number plate business. It's a trade in not a private sale.
Chris99
Glasgow
Chris99 is female  Chris99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2015, 11:36 AM

The garage can only sell you the car with the correct no plate on it. Unless they are crooks!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2015, 11:47 AM

i have had my personal plate for many years on different cars.Each time via one of these forms below

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...317_211114.pdf

you just fill it out pay £80 and it gets transferred. You can sell the plate on to someone else and make a bit of money from it using this form or contact car number plate dealers who will tell you the value and make an offer if you /they are interested. If the private plate is sold then the original car plate is put back on. Remember you will not only have to pay the £80 transfer fee but also the cost of having the original plates made up by a high street company.
A garage often leaves the private plate on up to the point of sale as a tempter to view. Sometimes they cover the original plate with their own garage name plate to hide the number plate.

It is a very old ploy and you need to get it in writing that the plate on the car is sold with that plate on

If the original owner sold the car with that number plate on ( first of all more fool her) then that plate stays with the carand a dealer might bump up the car value purely due to the plate. Some plates can run into £ 6 figures

My own recently valued at £3,500

The earlier the plate and the lower number relates to being more valuable as a rough guide. However You could get as an example an A plate with High numbers for a lot less. if it makes up a name such as mine again puts a higher value on it

if you do the transfer yourself you get confirmation that the transfer has gone through ok which mean also there are no legal problems with it

BIG TIP

Before handing over any money on another car DO YOUR OWN HPI CHECK do NOT rely on the dealers say so and have an independent mechanic do a check such as one of the big roadside services.

You could save incurring someone elses outstanding debt
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2015, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Why would you get 'jumped on by the police'? The number plate belongs to the car if it is still registered with that number.
Some personalised number plates are illegal if the letters or numbers are not the legal width apart and are squashed together to look like something else.

There are some examples of illegal plates here
http://www.sellmynumberplate.com/ill...umberplate.htm
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2015, 01:23 PM

I have never understood the thinking of those who pay extra for personalized plates which convey nothing to those other than the driver and perhaps his/her immediate circle.

Some are cute though. And some 'promote' stuff.

There is a Nissan called a "Cube".
Some smarty here had a plate on one which read "RUBICKS".

A local 'professional' lady drove a red sports car bearing the plate "SEXY 1"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top