Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 05:04 PM

Solicitors

Unbelievable. I decided to get quotes for conveyancing from all the solicitor offices in town, and found five different firms. Well, six actually, but I didn't want to use the one I used last time. That seems like a lot of solicitors for a small town, but I emailed or called into the offices of each one. The first gave me an appointment, then kept me waiting for ages and then when I met him he seemed like a bumbling non-starter. Out of all the others, only ONE replied to my email/query, and did so very promptly and efficiently. Three days later, NONE of the others have so much as squeaked. Easy choice, then!

Do they not need the work? I would have thought it would be quite competitive with so many of them in town. And considering that basic conveyancing here costs in the region of €1500 it's not small change either. So where are they all making all their money?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 08:23 PM

Re: Solicitors

I think those small town Solicitors don't just depend on legal work Ania, they all have their hands in many other pies and the Solicitors office is just a base for them to operate from, but they are just my thoughts on it.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 08:32 PM

Ridiculous, they must be making far too much money - it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in their ability to get the job done, does it?
Solicitors are a necessary evil at times, pity we can't do things ourselves.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 08:47 PM

We are still waiting for the solicitors who have my husband's inheritance money to sort out to get themselves in gear, his father died early last year here we are nearly 18 months later still waiting ! So I very much am on your side it was interesting last time we went to see them -we parked in their car park and our old car really stood out among the Audis Mercedes and Rollers. I think I know where the money goes
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 09:14 PM

Ania, I'm surprised in a way, because I would have thought solicitors are always eager to grab your money, and as you said, they have a fair but of competition in your town.
On the other hand, I'm not surprised, because it seems many firms and workmen are the same now. Are they all doing so well they can turn down more business, and possibly further recommendations from happy clients? Or is it the opposite, and frozen wages etc, have made them lose interest in their job and become totally lazy and complacent?

I don't know the answer, but stay calm, because you have a way to go with your quest yet, and no doubt quite a few more hiccups to sort out along the road too, so don't crack up yet.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ania, I'm surprised in a way, because I would have thought solicitors are always eager to grab your money, and as you said, they have a fair but of competition in your town.
On the other hand, I'm not surprised, because it seems many firms and workmen are the same now. Are they all doing so well they can turn down more business, and possibly further recommendations from happy clients? Or is it the opposite, and frozen wages etc, have made them lose interest in their job and become totally lazy and complacent?

I don't know the answer, but stay calm, because you have a way to go with your quest yet, and no doubt quite a few more hiccups to sort out along the road too, so don't crack up yet. :-D
I'm trying not to, Mups! Had someone view this place a couple of days ago, by word of mouth so put the estate agent who is preparing the details on hold. A long way to go yet...
Steven with a V
Cardiff Valleys
Steven with a V is male 

12-06-2015, 03:38 PM

Shakespeare; Henry the sixth - Part 2,

Dick: The first thing we do, Let's kill all the Lawyers.

Cade: Nay, that I mean to do.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top