Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AlbertaS
Berkshire, UK
AlbertaS is female  AlbertaS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 02:31 PM

Training dogs with cruelty

I read in a newspaper today that a customs officer training to be a sniffer dog handler has won a £15,000 payout after being sacked following his refusal to dish out cruel treatment to his dog.
He suffered 15mths of being branded a sissy because he refused to choke his dog. He was removed from the course a week before completing it.
Bosses later took away his dog Buddy and then sacked him after working 34yrs for the Customs and Immigration in Jersey.

He said that trainers would regularly abuse dogs and that he didn't agree with the punishments that were dished out to the dogs. One officer, who's dog urinated on an office floor, was punched in the head, shaken violently and twice thrown around the room. Another trainer choked dogs with their collars to make them sit. He refused to treat his dog in this way and was victimised because of it.

A few years back there was a lot of publicity about the police training their dogs in this way. I believe that was stopped, but the whole method of training special dogs need to be reviewed and stopped immediately if dogs are being treated with cruelty.

Some people give up pets and of course rescue dogs are also used to train for speciality work. So distressing for the people who gave and loved these dogs. I feel upset just reading about it.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 02:33 PM

Re: Training dogs with cruelty

Cruelty to animals should be punished, WHOEVER commits it.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 03:04 PM

I'm astounded I really am, I would never have believed this could happen. I've seen the police dogs work and they appear to be well loved by their owners . What a shocking thing to hear about
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 03:15 PM

I remember years ago my Uncle was moved from his job to another area when he refused to hang his dog along side others over a wall, they used it as TRAINING ?? and he said he could see absolutely no excuse for the cruelty. A while later an officer was prosecuted when he took it too far and his dog was killed hanging by it's neck. I had hoped it had been cleaned up by now.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 03:58 PM

It beggars belief what cruelty they think is justified in training an animal.

I wonder what would happen if these so called trainers where punched in the head and shook around the room if they did not learn part of their job quick enough.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 04:03 PM

No two ways about it they should be sacked for cruelty to their dogs, it is so unnecessary dogs only want to please so all it takes is a little kindness in training.
AlbertaS
Berkshire, UK
AlbertaS is female  AlbertaS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 04:18 PM

The awful thing is that it is done in front of others and accepted as normal practice. As said, so unnecessary as dog just want to please.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I remember years ago my Uncle was moved from his job to another area when he refused to hang his dog along side others over a wall, they used it as TRAINING ?? and he said he could see absolutely no excuse for the cruelty. A while later an officer was prosecuted when he took it too far and his dog was killed hanging by it's neck. I had hoped it had been cleaned up by now.
Oh Julie, that sounds horrendous! Poor dogs - really!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2015, 04:55 PM

Surely the command originates from just one person? So target them and get it stopped. I can't believe the whole team thinks it's ok and acceptable to dish out such cruelty? Haven't the RSPCA got involved?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2015, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Surely the command originates from just one person? So target them and get it stopped. I can't believe the whole team thinks it's ok and acceptable to dish out such cruelty? Haven't the RSPCA got involved?

I remember this sort of 'training' years ago with the Essex |Police dogs. They were hanging them from three branches to make them submit.
If ever I had the misfortune to witness that, I would have no qualms about dishing out exactly the same treatment to the offenders.
A dog will want to work for you and please you if he is rewarded and he also cares about you. Fear just makes them unpredictable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top