Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2015, 04:12 PM

Mini roundabouts

Double mini islands. What is the point of them? No one knows where to go, when to go, or who to give way to. Everyone just dithers and ponders and they just end up sitting there for ages not sure what to do ?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2015, 04:43 PM

Re: Mini roundabouts

A game of chicken made to see who moves first...
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2015, 04:48 PM

They have installed one of those in Kettering where there used to be traffic lights. I think the traffic flow is improved but you really do have to keep your wits about you.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2015, 04:56 PM

The whole point about roundabouts is that you are supposed to give way to your right.

It gets confusing though when cars arrive at millisecond intervals at various exits - who has the right of way?

For us older folk it's not always easy - our reaction times are well-down on the 17-year-old boy racers in their 10-year-old bog standard Fiesta with silly wheels and lowered suspension so I thought, why not have one of those green-tinted window stickers stuck inside your windscreen with Daft old git on board then you can carefully lurch out in your Fabia, give them the old forgot-me-dentures-again smile and off you go, knowing full well they won't get too close in case you go for the sudden braking-for-now-apparent-reason!

Sounds like a plan to me. stevmk2
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2015, 06:06 PM

And some dont even pause and just ignore the Island, the point of them is traffic calming i think ,
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2015, 10:45 PM

Unfortunately many īdriversī donīt know their right from their left, or their ass from their elbow.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2015, 11:21 PM

All of these blobs of white paint posing as roundabouts should be abolished. Nobody takes any notice of them anyway. The majority of motorists just drive over them rather than round them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2015, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
They have installed one of those in Kettering where there used to be traffic lights. I think the traffic flow is improved but you really do have to keep your wits about you.

That's very true Alan, though I haven't met the Kettering one yet. There are a couple of awful double ones at Bedford, and I find them horrible things to negotiate, and there are always those drivers who try to nip in when they shouldn't.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 04:37 AM

When I last drove in the UK I was astounded by the sheer number of roundabouts sometimes every 200 metres but even more so by the ones which were just a white circle painted on the road. Does anybody take any notice of those? Are they mini roundabouts?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 06:49 AM

I was fortunately lucky enough to see the first roundabout in Orlando Florida or at least where we stayed when we went to see Disney World for the first time. The confusion of the American drivers was something not to be missed. They actually had to have the police there to get drivers to use it properly

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top