Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 07:33 PM

Light up my life!

I'm so fed up with low - energy light bulbs! They're so dim! I've tried all sorts but, always end up putting on a table or standard lamp as well in order to see. Anyone got any useful suggestions? (No I'm not going to wear one of those head-strap contraptions, I'm not quite that weird)
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 07:38 PM

Re: Light up my life!

Before they went out of fashion Mrs.P. bought a job lot of proper bulbs, so we only use the new sort for occasional lamps and nightlights. Problem is she bought that many that neither of us will live long enough to use 'em all
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 09:10 PM

i will see if I can get some on line I miss them! I'm sure these things are dangerous, they take ages to warm up and give you eye strain. Your wife is very astute, well done Mrs. P! I got bombarded with free energy saving ones & replaced them all!
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 11:09 PM

I never bought into those fluorescent bulbs and continue to use incandescent 60 watt bulbs everywhere, well, except the bedroom where I have fitted a 40 watt and the outdoor lamp which has a 100 watt.

The last time I replaced a bulb was about 2 years ago, and the oldest one in use is 6 years old and counting.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 11:49 PM

I am still using the old type of bulbs, I have a dozen spare ones and hope by the time I have used them all there will be some improvement on the dim energy ones.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
I never bought into those fluorescent bulbs and continue to use incandescent 60 watt bulbs everywhere, well, except the bedroom where I have fitted a 40 watt and the outdoor lamp which has a 100 watt.

The last time I replaced a bulb was about 2 years ago, and the oldest one in use is 6 years old and counting.
OB, I think you're mistaking fluorescent tubes with low energy lights. Fluorescents are in a long strip close to the ceiling, either 4, 5, 6 or 8 foot.

Working for an electrical contractor we're still able to buy bulbs, either bayonet cap or Edison screw, from the wholesalers.

My mum used to have a 150W bulb in the living room centre pendant light, but I hate ceiling lighting so haven't used it in years, preferring my wall lights and lamps.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I'm so fed up with low - energy light bulbs! They're so dim! I've tried all sorts but, always end up putting on a table or standard lamp as well in order to see. Anyone got any useful suggestions? (No I'm not going to wear one of those head-strap contraptions, I'm not quite that weird)
I use them all everywhere, if you find they are not bright enough you have fitted the wrong type, like the wasteful incandescent ones they come in a variety of wattages - you just need to up the wattage. The only ones I dislike are the ones that start off dimmer and take several seconds to reach full brightness but usually this is just a matter of changing brands.

I think incandescent lights are now illegal (to sell) in NSW so you can't buy them anywhere I threw a box in the bin a few weeks back. I kept a couple for home brewing in winter (the heat they give off is useful)

The only incandescents I have at the moment are coloured ones outdoors but I am going to replace those with coloured LED globes (they change colour which is even better).
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 07:20 AM

The low energy bulbs are real pain in the ... neck. By the time they have warmed up I've forgotten why I needed a light in the first place. Plus they are full of mercury and therefore dangerous if they break and difficult to dispose of as you are not supposed to bin them. I still have proper light bulbs anywhere that I need instant light - especially in my Craft Room, there is 150watt 'daylight' bulb in there. I only use low energy ones in places like wall lights. Any time I see proper bulbs in a shop I always buy a few.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
The low energy bulbs are real pain in the ...
I don't think that you are putting them in the right socket

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
By the time they have warmed up I've forgotten why I needed a light in the first place. Plus they are full of mercury and therefore dangerous if they break and difficult to dispose of as you are not supposed to bin them.
The mercury they contain is a good point though they are not 'full of it' containing only about 6 mgs of it but then so have all fluorescent tubes (ie it is nothing new) but it is easy enough to dispose of them properly and the mercury can be recovered, it is no different to disposing of lead acid batteries properly really.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 08:22 AM

I thought they were terrible until I spoke to someone who had a bit of knowledge and now they are fine. I like many people were buying cheap and cheerful and they are poor in comparison with the more expensive makes. Buy the best you can afford and a slightly higher powered one than you would normally need and they are just as good as the old ones.

Only gripe I now have is they still don't last as long as they say they will. And getting rid of them isn't so easy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top