Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 04:55 PM

Strange Law

I've been reading some strange laws in Britain and came across this one:

Under the terms of the Polish Potatoes (Notification) in England Order - 2004: No person shall, in the course of business, import into England potatoes which he knows to be or has reasonable cause to suspect to be Polish potatoes.

Anybody know why?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2013, 05:01 PM

Re: Strange Law

I don't KNOW but I can GUESS - I imagine that Polish potatoes could carry some disease that we don't wish to import and infect our crops.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 10:59 AM

Ah, I hadn't thought of that - many thanks Alan.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 02:23 PM

I found this, it is seemingly to do with GM crops.

Poland at odds with EU bans on GM potatoes

The Polish government has banned the cultivation of certain strains of genetically modified potato, as announced by a government statement dated January 2nd 2013.

The ban, which seemingly circumvents EU acceptance of GM potatoes, will take effect later this month on January 28th.

Polish Prime Minister, Donald tusk, at odds with the EU on this matter, had previously promised to ban GM crops in the country.

Source: warsawvoice.pl

Publication date: 1/3/2013
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2013, 03:48 PM

I heard about one that said Loitering with intent at a camp site was illegal !!!! Imagine that ;0)
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

19-09-2013, 11:06 PM

Its because they use them to make a very strong brew called "Spiritus" its 90% pure alcohol,for drinking,not rubbing! lol
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 12:22 AM

[QUOTE=Pats;340338[B]]I found this, it is seemingly to do with GM crops.[/B]
Poland at odds with EU bans on GM potatoes QUOTE]

Are any GM crops (of anything), actually in the shops yet? Would they be obliged by law to state on labels if a product was GM?
There was a programme on the other night about this, but I only saw bits of it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 12:47 AM

I have never heard of anybody polishing potatoes either.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

20-09-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
I found this, it is seemingly to do with GM crops.

Poland at odds with EU bans on GM potatoes

The Polish government has banned the cultivation of certain strains of genetically modified potato, as announced by a government statement dated January 2nd 2013.

The ban, which seemingly circumvents EU acceptance of GM potatoes, will take effect later this month on January 28th.

Polish Prime Minister, Donald tusk, at odds with the EU on this matter, had previously promised to ban GM crops in the country.

Source: warsawvoice.pl

Publication date: 1/3/2013
Many thanks for that Pats (sorry, I've only just seen it).

So because Poland isn't happy about GM goods and Europe is happy about them, anything that might not be GM can't be imported? Am I reading that right?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top