Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 07:48 AM

What Is Luck?

My son showed me a piece of footage from youtube called Lucky People and I lost count of how many times I said 'they are so lucky' - then I started to wonder: what is luck? Does it really exist? Can we influence it or is it just random?

This is the clip (it may give an idea of what I'm rambling about and it lasts about 4 minutes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm0ywsD9V88
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 08:44 AM

Re: What Is Luck?

Certainly luck is just random (Unless you believe in the supernatural).
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Certainly luck is just random (Unless you believe in the supernatural).
Hmmmm

I've never really thought about 'luck' as being a 'thing' - it's just a word we say isn't it but then I began to wonder: why is it that some people come up smelling of roses regardless of how careless they are and other poor schmucks can't do right for wrong.

Like the people on the video - how come they weren't seriously hurt, was that luck? If so, does that change our concept of what luck actually is
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 09:31 AM

Luck is 99% when preparation meets opportunity.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 10:02 AM

Have no idea Kal - never come across it ......
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

18-09-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Have no idea Kal - never come across it ......
Did you watch the clip Pats? I cannot figure out how those people didn't get killed never mind not even slightly injured - it just made me wonder what luck actually is (even though we say it a lot).
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 01:47 PM

Well they say - when your numbers up - it is .....
Dare I say - I believe that ....
Seen so many escape horrendous incidents - even sitting next to someone that didn't ....
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 02:43 PM

I suppose it is a random thing... YET.. one has to admit that there are people that can fall in dog doo-doo and always come out smelling like a rose. Is it luck? or is it skill?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-09-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I suppose it is a random thing... YET.. one has to admit that there are people that can fall in dog doo-doo and always come out smelling like a rose. Is it luck? or is it skill?
Good point, I know a few .....
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 04:37 PM

Maybe luck is just the way you look at things. Stuff happens, one person might say, "That was bad luck", another person might say, " That was lucky, it could have been worse."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top