Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 06:56 PM

Back after a week with Mum.

Hi Everyone, I'm just back after a week looking after Mum. She is ninety one and lovely but just a tad confused. She also spirits things away! Money, her specs, the kitchen scissors, the telephone etc, etc, etc. You end up feeling as if you are in an alternative universe. However I count myself lucky to still have a Mum at my age and coming from a large family we all share the care.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 07:10 PM

Re: Back after a week with Mum.

Lovely post Moira M ......
Just relax and unwind now, Mum would want that .....
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 07:28 PM

Thanks Pat. I'd like to know how other members cope with aged relatives, not everyone has siblings able to share the responsibility which must be difficult.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 07:49 PM

Welcome back Moira.

Frustrating coping with aged relatives, thought i'd finished that when Mum died - how wrong I was , now we have another contender and not even closely related!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 08:26 PM

Hi Moira welcome back, you must be ready for a rest now.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 10:02 PM

You're lucky that all the family shares the care Moira, my Mum is 92 and me being the only girl with two brothers you find the boys don't do so much. It's hard as I'm not upto much health wise and even though Mum has a live in carer there are still things that the family have to do to help. If you're fit and healthy fine but if you're not you're still expected to do your bit! Trouble is when your parents are at that age the children are alot older.

Yes I know she's my Mum but sometimes they can expect too much of you if you're not too good yourself!!! That's all I'm going to say on the subject.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2013, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
You're lucky that all the family shares the care Moira, my Mum is 92 and me being the only girl with two brothers you find the boys don't do so much. It's hard as I'm not upto much health wise and even though Mum has a live in carer there are still things that the family have to do to help. If you're fit and healthy fine but if you're not you're still expected to do your bit! Trouble is when your parents are at that age the children are alot older.

Yes I know she's my Mum but sometimes they can expect too much of you if you're not too good yourself!!! That's all I'm going to say on the subject.
You can only do as much as you can, I wouldn't have been up to coping with them now. My sister in law suggested I could POP in on her Dad and see if he was OK, I said "Sorry I've not done popping for a few years now love and his son lives with him and you buggered off to Aus and I've got you're brother and myself to look after so No I can't help".
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2013, 07:07 AM

Nice to see you back Moira. This year it is 40 years since my Dad died and 30 years since my Mum did too.
So I have not had to look after elderly people but I did look after both my parents when they were dying but then being in my 20's and then 30's I still had energy to spare. So I do feel sorry for you older ones now. I
couldn't do now what I did all those years ago. So congratulations to all
of you having to care for the elderly relatives and hope your strength continues.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2013, 09:40 AM

Have a good idea what you're going through Moira, my Mum's 89 and has had cancer for 6 years. I take her for all medical appointments, do her shopping and errands, her garden, banking, etc etc while my brother lives it up on his boat in Lanzarote and doesn't even bother to write to her. Even though her grown up grandchildren are within easy distance they have only visited her once since last christmas. I sometimes find it very tiring not having anyone to share responsibilities with, but thank god I have managed to organize some lovely carers now which is a godsend. Mum insists she wants to die at her home and nowhere else, which I can't blame her for in a way, but it is hard work and worry for others. Bet other family will be round like moths to a flame when anything happens.
Moiramary
Lincoln

31-07-2013, 03:52 PM

Thanks for all your responses and support. I can't complain about my brothers. They are the ones who still live nearby and they are great, my S-I-L is a star. I go for a week a month and do things they don't have time for (they are working), a sister comes with me for company. She has chronic ill health so isn't able to do much. Mum also so has fantastic neighbours. I count myself lucky and at the moment it's all manageable, but I do wonder about the future. Once again thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top