Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2014, 06:17 PM

Idiot Questions.

Two grumps today I want to get off my chest, first.
These 'Idiot question' phone raffles seem to be popping up everywhere on TV, now they have one on 'Deal or no deal', you know the ones I'm talking about, questions like "What did Humpty Dumpty fall off?", A, A log, B, A wall, C, A stool. They have to ask a question to comply with the 'Element of skill' clause, naturally if they ask a hard question they will get less calls and therefore less money. How stupid do they think people are?, this must be a great money spinner as they are all jumping on the band wagon, have you seen the cost of your call?. Say you give out £5,000 in prizes and you get £30,000 in call money, why it's money for old rope, do they pay taxes on this and can anybody do it?, what happened to the old raffle laws when you had to get permission from a police superintendent?

Second grump.
Why do they say the word may, like "Charges MAY be more on mobile phones", and I heard today on 'Cash in the Attic', "Don't forget Auctioneer fees and Vat MAY be added on", why do they say may when they know bloody well they will be charged! Bah!
Sigh, I Feel better now.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2014, 06:29 PM

Re: Idiot Questions.

Had to giggle at yer blast off Jem - its as you say, a way to make a fortune out of a raffle ...
Love your annoyance at the word 'may' - I'm not alone then ....
At least you feel better
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2014, 06:44 PM

Yes I'm glad I got that out of my system Patsy, I've been saying it to the wife but she just smiles at me and says "Oh I know Jimmy, I know, terrible isn't it"
I'm nice and relaxed now but I have to ask myself three important questions, A, will I open a bottle of port, B, will I use a port glass, C, will I use a bigger glass, I think I May use a bigger glass, because I deserve it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2014, 07:02 PM

Hi Jem the 'idiot questions' are really a raffle more than a competition, they want as many people as possible to phone in so they make it easy. I think the cost of the calls are quite high so in a way you are paying to enter.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2014, 07:34 PM

Ah Dave - you do make me larf
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2014, 08:04 PM

My daughter did a competition on The Gadget Show, she then got texts reminding her of other competitions for which they charged her, without her realizing, until she texted a number to cancel!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2014, 09:34 PM

That's terrible Twizard and they wonder why many people run up huge phone bills, sometimes you just don't know it's happening. I only use my mobile phone for emergencies but the youngsters......
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2014, 09:53 PM

Exactly, she had awful job finding out how to cancel it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2014, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Jem the 'idiot questions' are really a raffle more than a competition, they want as many people as possible to phone in so they make it easy. I think the cost of the calls are quite high so in a way you are paying to enter.

I agree with Meg. It's the same formula on lots of phone in programmes. They make the questions so stupidly easy so that the whole world would know the answer and then they can make a fortune on the phone calls from the gullible folks who phone these premium rate numbers.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2014, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Yes I'm glad I got that out of my system Patsy, I've been saying it to the wife but she just smiles at me and says "Oh I know Jimmy, I know, terrible isn't it"
I'm nice and relaxed now but I have to ask myself three important questions, A, will I open a bottle of port, B, will I use a port glass, C, will I use a bigger glass, I think I May use a bigger glass, because I deserve it.
Jim matey, don't create even more washing up - slurp it straight from the bottle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top