Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2013, 03:20 AM

Live, love, shine

Having stated elsewhere that I am not religious, I still like the message here. Replace "God" with "universe" or whatever noun suits you.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

~Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2013, 05:58 AM

Re: Live, love, shine

There's some truth in that Annie.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2013, 10:02 AM

Something to think about but sometimes IMO you may need to shrink a little to make others happy, no point in shining yourself if those around you are unhappy.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

15-03-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Having stated elsewhere that I am not religious, I still like the message here. Replace "God" with "universe" or whatever noun suits you.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

I wish.

I don't agree with much of that, especially as I don't think a deity exists, and certainly not the highly unpleasant Biblical one.

I think we should try to do no harm and strive to do some good as we go through life.

“The wise recognise their failings and laugh at their idiosyncrasies” RJG
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2013, 10:56 PM

Food for thought indeed.

I have discovered in life that we do not exist in a vacuum and we each influence those around us for good or ill in everything we do.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->

Sorry Annie Jack, but I think I am rather at odds with much of this message and I tend to agree with what Willow posted.

I believe that one of our fears (and we have many) is that we fear we may be inadequate and lacking in power - not the opposite. I believe it is actually our darkness that should frighten us - and the rest of the sentence "who am I to be brilliant talented gorgeous - actually who are you not to be" - is rather arrogant, lacking in depth and insight - a somewhat immature thing to say, in my opinion.

As for the bit about:-
"Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you". where does "the meek shall inherit the world" fit in here. Again it seems to me a rather arrogant and self-absorbed statement.

I think I do understand what the writer is trying to convey, but her style grates somewhat on me - she delivers her message in a rather loud, brash and ham-fisted fashion which I find unattractive.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2013, 12:42 PM

My apologies. I didn't see it as promoting a pop-star type of personality so much as women like these.

I see now that the descriptions used imply the former.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2013, 01:39 PM

Please don't apologise Annie - and I also admire the women in the link you gave and I do know what you mean. I think maybe when great achievement and strong, effective leadership is associated with religion and gods it becomes a problem for me. I am a firm believer is self worth, achievement and inspiring confidence in others, and I believe these things come from within us as individuals and we all possess them to some degree.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

16-03-2013, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
... I think maybe when great achievement and strong, effective leadership is associated with religion and gods it becomes a problem for me. I am a firm believer is self worth, achievement and inspiring confidence in others, and I believe these things come from within us as individuals and we all possess them to some degree.
I appreciate the way you've worded it, thanks.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2013, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I believe that one of our fears (and we have many) is that we fear we may be inadequate and lacking in power - not the opposite. I believe it is actually our darkness that should frighten us.
I think that part of Aerolor's post is what keeps religion alive - the fear that it could really be all down to us in the end. I read this once and it struck a bit of a chord that made me curious about religion:

“The sky is deep, the sky is dark. The light of the stars is so damn stark/When I look up, I fill with fear, if all we have is what lies here, this lonely world, this troubled place, then cold dead stars and empty space...Well, I see no reason to persevere, no reason to laugh or shed a tear, no reason to sleep and none to wake/ No promises to keep and none to make. And so at night I still raise my eyes to study the clear but mysterious skies that arch above us, cold as stone. Are you there God? Are we alone?”

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top