Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2012, 03:49 PM

Capital Letters.

I have noticed people seem to be dropping capital letters nowadays, I believe the use of same is now optional, well and good but I will continue to use them for things like people's names, place names and of course the start of a sentence. Maybe some people are too lazy to tip the shift key, that could be one reason for dropping capitals. On my local forum one chap was defending the faith and every time he mentioned God he used a small G, being old fashioned it made me smile, even God don't get a capital anymore.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2012, 07:36 PM

Re: Capital Letters.

I've noticed this too Jimmy. You'll always get a capital from me.... If I do miss out, it'll be a mistake that I haven't noticed and corrected. I can't believe it is optional
I guess I'm old fashioned too
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2012, 10:01 PM

Capital thread I too will use capitals.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2012, 10:23 PM

I always use um, I have been incarcerated by the Spelling Police many times before now, compliance is the easy option.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2012, 10:06 AM

k.d.lang popularised the use of lower case, as did the writer e.e.cummings.
i sometimes use it to rest my other typing finger.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2012, 10:12 AM

It's a shame that so many ignore good grammar these days, but the content of the post is really more important I guess.
Que Sera
Germany
Que Sera is female  Que Sera has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2012, 11:10 AM

Yes you'll have probaly seen that I use capital letters where they shouldn't be... the reason is that the German language uses capital letters very often, this gives me a little insecurity when I write in English, also the way the sentences are written, they are written back to front in German. Although I'm English I sometimes have problems with translating, so if you do see capital letters where they shoudn't be pease forgive. This no excuse, but it'really not easy
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2012, 08:15 PM

Quite right Plantman, it's the content thats important.

I am not bothered either by spelling mistakes, but do take issue with the use of obscure or long words when a simple short one will serve the purpose.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2012, 07:30 AM

PersonallY I hAte the wAy youNg pEopLe seEM to usE caPiTal LettErs quitE IndisCriminatEly.

I agree with Robert, everyone should eschew obfuscation.
LovelyMeerkat
Lancashire
LovelyMeerkat is female  LovelyMeerkat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2012, 10:16 PM

I dislike misuse of capital letters and deliberate misspelling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top