Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 08:31 AM

Travel Insurance

My wife and I booked and paid for a 5 week cruise from UK to USA/Canada, which wasn't cheap. I took out the Insurance having declared my medical condition of High Blood Pressure. All was fine, now this week my wife has been diagnosed with a heart problem which may prevent her travelling. As is required I have declared her condition to the Insurance Company and paid the surcharge. If she is unable to go, just watch them find reasons to not pay out.

Arthur
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 08:41 AM

Re: Travel Insurance

On one holiday abroad Sheila inadvertently left her glasses in the ladies' toilets and we were on the plane before she realised. Of course, when we arrived back home they weren't in the airport's lost property so she tried to claim off the insurance. They wanted proof of pretty well everything - the receipt for the cost of the glasses, proof the she went to the lost property office at the airport and other things which I've forgotten none of which we could provide. We gave it up as a bad job and took the cost of replacement ourselves.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2016, 09:49 PM

I have a lot of older friends who cruise and many of them have difficulties with the price of insurance given their various health problems. In some cases the insurance is almost the same cost as a cruise ticket !

One couple who regularly used to cruise with P&O had to stop because they couldn't afford the insurance and instead now cruise with Saga because it's one of the only cruises that does its own insurance and is thus much cheaper.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Old Supporter ->
My wife and I booked and paid for a 5 week cruise from UK to USA/Canada, which wasn't cheap. I took out the Insurance having declared my medical condition of High Blood Pressure. All was fine, now this week my wife has been diagnosed with a heart problem which may prevent her travelling. As is required I have declared her condition to the Insurance Company and paid the surcharge. If she is unable to go, just watch them find reasons to not pay out.

Arthur
Can you give us an update?
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 11:30 PM

Hi Lindyloo,
At present there is no update. We are due to travel on16th April, and the doctor makes his final decision on 22nd March. We are still hopeful he will give permission to go, even if it means we miss out on some of the excursions we have booked.

Arthur
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 07:54 AM

Thanks Arthur. As you know, the law of insurance requires full disclosure and it seems you have disclosed everything required prior to being insured and arising medical conditions from then on. If you cannot travel and the insurance company refuse to refund all costs........including that surcharge, you should report them to the Financial Ombudsman. If you've read all the insurance t's & c's and believe you're entitled to a refund, I don't think yoiu can do much harm by letting them know your intentions. This page gives more information. http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...-insurance.htm

Good luck with the doctor - it would be good to know you can go with full insurance cover.
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK

06-03-2016, 11:25 AM

Hi Lindyloo,

Many hanks for your interesting message above, and also for your interest.

Best wishes

Arthur
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK

18-03-2016, 09:01 AM

Well the time has now come to put the claim to the test. The day before yesterday I took my wife to hospital for tests. After 6 hours there she was diagnosed with a blocked valve in the heart, and told under no circumstances should she go on the cruise.
I am just about to request a claim form, and to see how much comes back from the cruise company before claing for the rest.
However whatever happens, her health is more important than any money lost.

Arthur
Lindyloo
isle of wight

18-03-2016, 09:20 AM

Very sorry to hear that Arthur - my commiserations to you and your wife.

Can I suggest that when you request a claim form you make a blanket request for everything you may need to make the claim and everything they need for a successful claim. I suspect you may need written confirmation from the hospital, GP, etc etc etc. Take copies of all prescriptions etc to support your claim and put everything in writing. It could be handy to buy a notebook to record details of all telephone calls you make which relate to this claim.

Very best of luck to you both.
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK

18-03-2016, 04:54 PM

Hi Lindyloo,
Many thanks for the tips.I have had a session on the telephone with the Insurance Company this afternoon. I asked for full required details to be listed to me. He went through most of them with me, and said that from the records they have of this policy I have kept them informed of every move, so he can see no problems. But if I have any questions telephone again
Because we have an appointment with the doctor next Tuesday, he will get the forms in the post this afternoon.

Arthur

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top