Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 03:00 PM

Xmas Cake

My mother in law who has Dementia asked us to get her a Xmas cake before Xmas and every time we said to her where's your cake are you going to have some.. She kept saying i don't know where it is? Well yesterday we went to the house to tidy round and found it in her pantry in a box under a shelf.. The date say's best before the 21st January 2017, we think it would still be ok to eat... What do you think?

Also don't you think that it's not along enough time on a product that you should be able to eat all year or even longer.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 03:49 PM

Re: Xmas Cake

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
My mother in law who has Dementia asked us to get her a Xmas cake before Xmas and every time we said to her where's your cake are you going to have some.. She kept saying i don't know where it is? Well yesterday we went to the house to tidy round and found it in her pantry in a box under a shelf.. The date say's best before the 21st January 2017, we think it would still be ok to eat... What do you think?

Also don't you think that it's not along enough time on a product that you should be able to eat all year or even longer.

Send it this way, I'll eat it
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 03:51 PM

Hi

Christmas Cake is full of sugar, so fine well past the sell buy date.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Send it this way, I'll eat it
I'm sure you would Were going to have it over the next few days and if you don't hear of me again Lidl's to blame
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 03:55 PM

That's sad Sue, personally I wouldn't risk giving it to my mum if she was still alive .... why not buy her a little Easter cake in its place and cut her a slice of it while you were there?
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire

13-04-2017, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Christmas Cake is full of sugar, so fine well past the sell buy date.
I heard that some cakes have had preservatives taken out so they don't last as long but never mind were having it
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire

13-04-2017, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
That's sad Sue, personally I wouldn't risk giving it to my mum if she was still alive .... why not buy her a little Easter cake in its place and cut her a slice of it while you were there?
It's ok we have it at our house.. She's in hospital at the moment and were just in the throws of her coming home to carers so when we do get her back we'll give her something nice
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 04:02 PM

Ah, I see ..... I hope she will be able to return home soon then Sue
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 05:14 PM

Sue, I'd say go for it, the wife makes ours in October and were still having it in January, lovely with some crumbly cheese
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 07:56 PM

Home made Christmas cakes last almost indefinitely (given chance) but I am not sure about shop bought ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top