Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2010, 02:27 PM

Did you send your children to boarding school?

If my husband had continued teaching at the independent boarding school he worked at in the 70s our children would have been entitled to go there at a reduced rate, but he moved on to higher things in the state sector so we couldn't afford the full very high fees. My sister was a boarder there and enjoyed her time at the school very much indeed.

Our eldest daughter was gutted when we told her we couldn't afford to send her there as a boarder when she was eleven. She had fond memories of the place as staff families were encouraged to get involved with the school activities.

The nearest my two eldest got to going away to school was when they were four. At that time you didn't start school until you were five in the UK, and my two were bored out of their skulls with play group. We sent the eldest girl over to the island of my birth for a little holiday with my parents. My father enrolled her in school as soon as she arrived, on the understanding that if she was unhappy she would go home. She loved it and instead of staying for half a term as planned she insisted she stayed the whole term! It was such a success we did the same for her next sister down, who enjoyed it greatly too. It wasn't necessary for the youngest because of where her birthday fell.

I would never force a child to be a boarder, if they hated the idea, but some like our eldest girl, would have really enjoyed the experience.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2010, 02:31 PM

Re: Did you send your children to boarding school?

I would never dream of sending my kids to boarding school.
Boarding schools are for people who dont want children but got lumbered with them.
IMO they boarding schools should be shut down as they tend to produce 'Jobs for the boys' type of people.
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Boarding schools are for people who dont want children but got lumbered with them.
IMO they boarding schools should be shut down as they tend to produce 'Jobs for the boys' type of people.
You obviously know nothing about the subject!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by qetta ->
You obviously know nothing about the subject!
Can you prove that?

Sweeping statements again.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2010, 02:54 PM

I would never have considered sending my two children to boarding school either. I enjoyed bringing up my children and a big part of it was listening to their chatter about what they did at school that day. Also being on hand to give them the support that all children that age need.

Both of them did very well and gained very good examination results so I can't see that sending them away and not seeing them for periods at a time could have improved on that.

Getta, in a few of your posts I notice you have mentioned about the "island of your birth" and you say your father enrolled your daughter in a school there ...... I would be interested if you could share with us where that is.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2010, 02:59 PM

Bit of a sweeping statment
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Don't have any!
Dancingsky
None

19-09-2010, 03:03 PM

We enjoyed our children and had fun when they were young. The eldest was the only one we would have considered sending to boarding school if we could have afforded it as she was really keen to go there. She has always been a very independent person and never, ever experienced home sickness.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK

19-09-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Bit of a sweeping statment
Not really Galty, I did say In My Opinion.

I did not say that 'all' Boarding schools 'do' produce that type of person.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2010, 03:14 PM

Not really Galty, I did say In My Opinion.

I did not say that 'all' Boarding schools 'do' produce that type of person.

Think you should reread your post.

The topic title asks a question your reply.

" would never dream of sending my kids to boarding school.
IMO they boarding schools should be shut down as they tend to produce 'Jobs for the boys' type of people."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top