Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
billclay
west Yorkshire
billclay is male  billclay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 11:37 AM

Christmas.

Love it or hate it you just cant avoid it, personally i hate it, dont get me wrong, i have no problem with families getting to gether and having a meal and a party, what i dislike is the pressures it imposers on people who can ill afford to spend lots of money and the subsequent borrowing and often with exorbitant interest rates, i wonder how many are still in debt from last Christmas.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 11:47 AM

Re: Christmas.

I always think any one who alowes them selves to be pressured into spending money they dont have is crazy ...if you dont have it the kids or family will have to do with out ... when we had no money we use to make christmas promises ... and work at making them really thoughtful... Like my sister would promise to help me with my reading every evening for a week when I was in infant school. or my brother would do my sisters chores for a day ect...
Because we live in a comsumer world dosnt mean we have to be ....so much can be made from free to make thoughtful gives .... years ago when we brought our first house we had no spare money so hubby unpicked a old pair of jeans hand sewed little pockets on to them and hung it on a coat hanger , to hang behind bathroom door to put my bits in as we had no cuboard. he also made me a wooden fish with a penknife the christmas after our pet fish died .... there is so much you can do with out money,,,
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 12:07 PM

I enjoy Christmas.

When the kids were young I would start to layby their presents earlier in the years so they were paid for when Christmas came and I'd buy next years decorations at 90% off the day after Boxing Day.

These days I still put up the Christmas tree after threatening to stop doing it for years and who wouldn't put up lights now they are so cheap and reliable?

This is only the second time in 25 years we all won't be together at Christmas. Ironically the one who was not here last year (in the Gulf) will be here with my daughter in law and grandson, of my other two kids - one will be in Queensland 4 wheel driving and the youngest on Christmas Island keeping Australia safe for Mad Monks.

I expect we will have our usual BBQ on Christmas Day after presents are opened. Its great, love it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 12:25 PM

I don't mind Christmas in some ways, though now I am older it is a much quieter affair. Families often spread out over the years, kids "do their own thing", some older family members have departed etc.
I'm a fairly quiet person at home, so don't think I'd want a big, noisy christmas with a house bursting at the seams, I'd find that a bit too much.
I do always put a little tree up though and I like a few pretty lights. I have always wanted just a few outside lights, but haven't had anyone to help with that sort of thing.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by billclay ->
Love it or hate it you just cant avoid it, personally i hate it, dont get me wrong, i have no problem with families getting to gether and having a meal and a party, what i dislike is the pressures it imposers on people who can ill afford to spend lots of money and the subsequent borrowing and often with exorbitant interest rates, i wonder how many are still in debt from last Christmas.
More fool them.

I always bought my children a fair few things but I started getting things, usually, around September so it was all bought and paid for as I went along. I would never get into debt over Christmas or birthdays for anyone - if I can afford it, they can have it and if I can't, they won't.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 01:54 PM

I used to hate it, the falseness of it all, people wishing you well who wouldn't usually bid you the time of day, people borrowing money and spending what they never had to spend and suffering for it afterwards. I realised that there is absolutely nothing we can do about it, it'll keep coming at you year after year so the best thing to do was to try an enjoy it, a case of if you can't beat 'em join 'em, very hard sometimes but a few jars helps it pass over nicely.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 02:47 PM

Agree with your post Jem ......
Christmas really is for the kiddies - the trouble is they get spoilt and the cycle continues with their children.
Christmas for me has lost its magic - even the TV is rubbish - Bah - humbug !!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 03:13 PM

Yes indeed it's really a time for the kids and who would begrudge them that, what really used to get me was the toy companies who exploited this with their TV ads, some as early as August, thankfully they have been forced to limit when they can show them now.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

21-11-2013, 03:16 PM

Hey Bruce, don't forget to do your Christmas video for us this year, enjoyed the last one.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 04:21 PM

Last Xmas was really nice! Couldn't do shopping because I was waiting for foot op, everyone had small gifts or vouchers. I was worried about it but turned out better as it wasn't all about presents!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top