Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2012, 01:34 AM

Showing Affection

A bit of an odd topic this, I suppose, but how many folk show their affection to their loved ones?

As a child I got loads of hugs, cuddles and kisses from parents and aunties, then from husband, and later from my partner of 20 years. I always had that human contact in an affectionate way.

Since I've lived alone, I'm not ashamed to admit that I miss that. Whenever I meet up with my ex-boss I get a huge hug from him and, unashamedly, I cling wildly to him, even when his missus is there; same with an male ex-colleague whom I knew for 20 years!

Is this a silly topic?
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2012, 02:10 AM

Re: Showing Affection

Nooo its lovely and its sad that some folks find it awkward. I always walk with himself holding his hand and he'll give me a kiss if we're just standing in a queue or waiting for a train.. not a gushy snog lol just a kiss and he'll tell me he loves me as I tell him.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2012, 02:17 AM

Well I think that is absolutely wonderful, Cassie, truly I do.

This may be hard to understand but, after a life-time of affection, when you're suddenly starved of it, it is very hard to deal with.

I think human contact is very important to our general well-being and our psychological outlook as well.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2012, 03:25 AM

My family all hug one another and I love it. My partner, however, dislikes being touched and will dodge a kiss or complain "why am I being punished?". He thinks it's amusing.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2012, 07:32 AM

I think people who do not get or show affection are really missing out on something.
Every day I tell 'She who must be obeyed' that I love her and we hug all the time whenever we feel like it or just need something to say thank you for being here.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

05-05-2012, 07:51 AM

I prefer the stiff upper lip approach where adults are concerned, finding hugs and kisses from adults at best embarrassing. Some from close relatives, I have to endure with a good grace, but for the most part avoid them. I hug the young grandchildren, although the boys usually duck to avoid the onslaught.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2012, 10:34 AM

No Mollie not a silly topic (((hugs)))

As a child I received very few hugs. My aunt who cared for me a lot of the time when my mother died didn't believe in that sort of thing and considered it to be 'soft' . Dad made up for it when I saw him though.

I made sure my son received lots of cuddles and now aged 34 he always gives me a hug when he sees me and is a very loving cuddly father .

I missed hugs when my husband died and am not ashamed to say I used to wrap myself in one of his shirts which smelt of him for comfort

I don't think we give enough hugs, apparently research has shown that they lower the heart rate in some people and help to reduce stress..
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

05-05-2012, 10:52 AM

I stopped hugging my parents when I was about 12 as I found it embarrassing, I have no idea why. Obviously I went in for hugging and kissing my boyfriend, who became my husband, when I was young, but don't see the need to do so now.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2012, 11:36 AM

I'm with Willow on this one. Can't be doing with people slobbering all over me, unless its a good looking woman! Me and the wife never hold hands when out and about. When folks ask why, I say I need both my hands free in case I fall ass over tip in the street!
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2012, 12:31 PM

my mom dad never showed anything along them lines never rember getting a hug ever
but with my own daughters we always hug one another and grandchildren
me and my husband hold hands when were out at the mall
cant imagane my life without that theres going to be lots of that next week

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top