Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 07:31 PM

Clothing Fashion!

Just watched a big TV special about Mary Quant.

As they showed various "wonderful" items of Mary Quant fashion products I couldn't help wondering why these products were deemed to be better than, for example, M&S clothes.

Surely it's all a big con about the actual label.

Why would anyone pay 20 times more for a striped shirt, from Quant, than they would for a nicer one from your local shop?

Have we reached a stage where the label means "everything"?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 07:37 PM

Re: Clothing Fashion!

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

As they showed various "wonderful" items of Mary Quant fashion products I couldn't help wondering why these products were deemed to be better than, for example, M&S clothes.

Surely it's all a big con about the actual label.

Why would anyone pay 20 times more for a striped shirt, from Quant, than they would for a nicer one from your local shop?

You're about 40 years behind the times - 'named' labels were all the rage in the 1970s and have been ever since.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

– Snip –

We seem to have reached that stage with people, some like to 'label' others and treat them accordingly, often forgetting they are people. They put them into the 'appropriate boxes' so I guess then why not the labels for clothes being of more importance than the garment itself?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 07:47 PM

Re M&S clothes, they seem to be generally regarded (other forums) as pretty drab these days, lacking colour and style.
You certainly couldn't say that about MQ of old... haven't seen her latest.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Re M&S clothes, they seem to be generally regarded (other forums) as pretty drab these days, lacking colour and style.
I reckon their clothes fell by the wayside a long time ago. Some of the materials are quite odd 'feel wise' and give me that 'nails down the blackboard' feeling touching them. (Shudders)

I'm rather amazed MQ is still with us. I thought she slipped off a long time ago
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->

That's true,would you wear MQ clothing?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 10:09 PM

Well I certainly would not be seen without a Lacoste shirt and Adidas running shoes on.....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 10:31 PM

I think the worst two fashion items about at the moment are leggings and ugg boots - just horrid!
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 11:27 PM

Designer label clothes are made in the same sweat shops in Asia as those from shops like Primark and Target.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 02:01 PM

Used to be a label represented a company's reputation for quality.
Those days are gone.

The fabric isn't of the same good quality, the stitching is off, cutting corners any way to make a quick few cents off initial cost of the garment, and they hope no one notices.

Our better name brands have lost the edge in recent years. It's sad, but doesn't go unnoticed by those who still prefer quality over quantity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top