Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2010, 10:06 AM

AAADD - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests itself.

I decide to water my garden. As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide that it needs washing. As I start toward the garage, I notice mail on the front veranda table that I brought up from the letterbox earlier, just after the postman had been.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I put my car keys on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage bin beside the table, and notice that the bin is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the garbage first. But then I think, since I'm going to be near the post box when I takeout the garbage anyway (and the postman picks up the mail at noon), I may as well pay the bills first.

So, I take my chequebook off the table and see that there is only one cheque left. My spare chequebook is in my desk in the study, so I go inside the house to my desk where I find the bottle of Coke I'd been drinking earlier this morning.

I know I'm going to look for my chequebook, but first I need to push the Coke bottle aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over. The Coke is warm, so I decide to put it in the fridge to make it cold again.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Coke, a vase of flowers on the dining room table catches my eye - they need water.

I put the Coke on the dining room table and discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning. I decide that I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to put more water in the flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the table, go to the kitchen sink to get a jug and fill it with water and suddenly spot the TV remote on the window sill. Some-one left it there.

I realise that tonight when we go to watch TV, I'll be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the window sill, so I decide to put it back in the lounge room where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the jug, but spill some on the floor. So, I set the remote back on the kitchen bench, get some paper towels and wipe up the spill.

Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day: - the car isn't washed- the cheques aren't written for the bills to be paid- there is a warm bottle of Coke sitting on the dining room table- the flowers don't have enough water,- there is still only 1 cheque in my cheque book,- I can't find the remote,- I can't find my glasses,- the garbage hasn't been taken out- and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day, and I'm really tired now. I realize this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail.

Forward this message to everyone you know, because I don't remember who the hell I've sent it to. Don't laugh - if this isn't you yet, your day is coming!!

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL BUT LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2010, 10:20 AM

Re: AAADD - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

I've been at this level for a while now so I have to train myself every time I do virtually anything.
When I'm locking the front door before going out I'm thinking "I've locked the door, checked the taps, checked the back door and windows, checked the 'phone's on Answer, checked the fridge door's shut, I've got my glasses, I've got my fags for the day and I've got my teeth in" If I've forgotton anything that's when I will remember it because I'm "book-marking" it on my brain!
I do exactly the same with everything, particularly in the garden because I've now get four pairs of secateurs having left them all in different places and been unable to find them at the time, only to find them later. I once found a pair in a nest box - how I managed to leave them there is a total mystery! I've also uncovered a trowel this year that my wife lost last year so I'm not the only one in the house doing this!! stevmk2
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2010, 11:51 AM

I've always been like that!! Start something and then go onto another, AB

Good one and thanks for sharing!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2010, 12:24 PM

God!, I hope I never get that bad AB, it's like falling asleep and dreaming you've done all that work and when you waken nothing is done!. Sad.
welshgit
llanybydder, wales
welshgit is male  welshgit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2010, 12:36 PM

sounds like any one of my days

Nice one
Geoff
North East UK
Geoff is male 

10-11-2010, 01:03 PM

And I've been worrying that I was the only one with these memory problems, Welcome to my world
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2010, 03:49 PM

Ooh... I'm sure I'm reaching that stage!

Good one AB!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2010, 04:50 PM

I was going to post something witty and humerous but then my nephew asked if I wanted another drink.

Just assume I had posted something witty.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2010, 04:55 PM

That all sounds horribly familiar AB.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I've been at this level for a while now so I have to train myself every time I do virtually anything.
When I'm locking the front door before going out I'm thinking "I've locked the door, checked the taps, checked the back door and windows, checked the 'phone's on Answer, checked the fridge door's shut, I've got my glasses, I've got my fags for the day and I've got my teeth in" If I've forgotton anything that's when I will remember it because I'm "book-marking" it on my brain!
I do exactly the same with everything, particularly in the garden because I've now get four pairs of secateurs having left them all in different places and been unable to find them at the time, only to find them later. I once found a pair in a nest box - how I managed to leave them there is a total mystery! I've also uncovered a trowel this year that my wife lost last year so I'm not the only one in the house doing this!! stevmk2
I like the bit about checking you have got your teeth in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top