Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2016, 11:47 AM

All l Wanted Was A Couple Of Chops.....

....and ended up having to defrost my freezer as l couldn't get the drawer back in!!
It made me wonder, do most people defrost their freezers regularly or, are they like me.....only when it's so iced up they can't get the drawer back in!
I was also amazed at the amount of food l have in there...honestly, enough for a banquet!! l think it's best l stop food shopping and live on what's in the freezers.....l didn't mention, l have two more freezers!!

So, are you very good and defrost your freezer regularly or wait until it's really iced up? What's in your freezer? My son used to keep dead mice and chicks in mine as he had an owl!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2016, 11:54 AM

Re: All l Wanted Was A Couple Of Chops.....

I try to do ours every three months, we have three freezers in all and three fridges so it's a big task but if I don't I forget what we have in each of them.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2016, 12:04 PM

My fridge-freezer is "frost-free" - no need to defrost .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2016, 12:14 PM

I defrost my ancient upright freezer every couple of months, I wonder if that is why it has lasted so long .
I takes less than an hour in all. The food goes into cold boxes and I sponge the bit of ice that is formed with warm water then dry it thoroughly .
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
My fridge-freezer is "frost-free" - no need to defrost .....
Mine too!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2016, 12:41 PM

I have an 'American style' fridge/freezer which is supposed to be frost free.

Every so often the bottom drawer in the freezer becomes impossible to move because it's iced in AND is also full of ice ... and I do mean full.

Evidently there's some kind if blockage in ? dunno what, but I can't find it and am not that bovvered as I don't keep it fully stocked.

When it happened before, 'himself' lent a hand ... with hammer and chisel
I do so wish I'd taken a pic of the chisel sticking out if the freezer lining

I used a steam cleaner to free up the drawer a couple of weeks ago.
Took almost an hour but was really effective.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2016, 01:02 PM

I only defrost the freezer when theres more frost than food .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2016, 01:10 PM

I know it's not recommended but I use a hair drier, as long as you don't get it wet it seems quickest method.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2016, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I know it's not recommended but I use a hair drier, as long as you don't get it wet it seems quickest method.
If you have access to a steam cleaner, then that's the best

Tried hair dryer, bowls of boiling water, hammer etc when we defrosted 'his' freezer last year.
The steam cleaner would have been far quicker.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2016, 01:16 PM

I also have a large american type fridge freezer which is frost free..it has two large freezer drawers ...I eat from the freezer quite regularly so theres always space for new frozen stuff,I dont have food that gets forgotten about which is good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top