Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2014, 12:57 PM

New type of scam

Just had a phone call from an Indian gentleman saying there was a virus from one of my files that has got onto their server.
He wanted me to go to my computer and onto the internet to check my computer. He mentioned my windows computer then suddenly added about using a Mac AFTER I said that is what I use

Alarm bells started ringing very loudly

Why should he want to clear a virus on his server using my computer????

No he wanted access to my computer in case I did any online banking and have access to any information he could use.

I said if you have access to my computer then email me with the problem and I will get an expert to sort it out.
That stumped him for a while,then he asked if I knew such a person so I said yes one of the top people in the country

Beware of this tele no

international
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2014, 01:18 PM

Re: New type of scam

Not first time I have heard that one, I do believe some of these people think we are all stupid !
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2014, 01:20 PM

What really caught him out was when I said email me with the problem and I will get it sorted this end.

There is no way can he get my email addy unless I sent it to him.

He even wanted me to go and switch on my computer for him: NO WAY
Luckily I can spot these scams easily but someone not computer wise may well fall for it.

I know what the next question would be. Switch your computer to remote access and let him sort it!!!!

That for those who don't know is about the worst thing one can do is let a complete stranger access your computer.

These scams are getting cleverer every time. So the answer is if you are unsure about phone calls or computer messages from someone you don't know end it

ignore.

In my case i let him ramble on for a good 5 minutes getting him further tied up in his own mistakes, I found it quite good fun actually hearing him struggle for answers
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2014, 01:21 PM

I had someone on telling me I had a virus on my PC, I told him I probably had many viruses on there, he put the phone down.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2014, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the info - best to be alerted ......
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2014, 01:35 PM

Best way to sort that kind of call is say what Computer I haven't got one so don't know what you are talking about. Put phone down and laugh.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2014, 02:17 PM

Sound advice, thanks for the warning Bazza.
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

20-11-2014, 03:08 PM

Anyone falling for that sort of nonsense needs their heads testing, imo.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Best way to sort that kind of call is say what Computer I haven't got one so don't know what you are talking about. Put phone down and laugh.

That's a good idea Sandy, I like that.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2014, 04:23 PM

You can never let your guard down - always somebody out to ruck us... grrrrr

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top