Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2012, 11:56 PM

Apollo XI

I'm a bit late in the day for putting this on, but it was 43 years ago today that the Apollo XI moon mission reached its target, and Neil Alden Armstrong was the first man to set foot upon the moon.

Or did he?

I believe it to be true, but many do not, so what do you think?
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2012, 12:01 AM

Re: Apollo XI

true
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2012, 12:32 AM

True.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2012, 10:36 AM

True or not it was total waste of money. What has it proved??? - what value has been added to our knowledge that a chunk of earth got itself hurled into space to form our moon??? We knew that before any of these missions were even contemplated.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2012, 10:48 AM

Mollie I have two documentary CD's questioning whether they went or didn't, the facts are all laid out for the viewer to make up their own mind. It would be impossible to lay them all out here. My mind is made up that they never went, no living thing can get through the 'Van Alan Belt' and survive, the Russians, who were the pioneers of space flight, knew this so they never attempted it. One must remember the cold war was at it's height during the late 1960's and the Russians were way ahead in technology at the time, it was all a well staged hoax and now after all these years it's being questioned again and no solid answers forthcoming, as I said before, the only way to prove it and to shut the doubters up once and for all is to go again, the simple answer to that is, they cannot, even with todays technology.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Mollie I have two documentary CD's questioning whether they went or didn't, the facts are all laid out for the viewer to make up their own mind. It would be impossible to lay them all out here. My mind is made up that they never went, no living thing can get through the 'Van Alan Belt' and survive, the Russians, who were the pioneers of space flight, knew this so they never attempted it. One must remember the cold war was at it's height during the late 1960's and the Russians were way ahead in technology at the time, it was all a well staged hoax and now after all these years it's being questioned again and no solid answers forthcoming, as I said before, the only way to prove it and to shut the doubters up once and for all is to go again, the simple answer to that is, they cannot, even with todays technology.

Easily proved. The experimental reflector left by the Apollo missions can be aimed at with anyone with a suitable pulse laser and measure the distance to the moon to within a few inches. It wouldn't be possible to do that if they weren't there. There is of course the lunar rock samples. Also recent high resolution satallite imaging of the surface shows the Apollo vehicles and their tracks.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
Easily proved. The experimental reflector left by the Apollo missions can be aimed at with anyone with a suitable pulse laser and measure the distance to the moon to within a few inches. It wouldn't be possible to do that if they weren't there. There is of course the lunar rock samples. Also recent high resolution satallite imaging of the surface shows the Apollo vehicles and their tracks.
I dont doubt that Graham, any OBJECT can be put on the moon, including moving objects, but not a human being or any living thing.
Bill Clinton was asked the question many years later by a reporter, did he believe they put a man on the moon, he answered with a smile "Of course I do, didn't I see it on TV?"
I think it's up to yourself, personally I'll never believe it until they go again when we can all watch with the latest technology.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2012, 01:40 PM

Does it really matter! I couldnt care less, there are more important things to think about.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2012, 01:04 AM

Well, true or not, I sat there in my bedroom on that night in 1969 watching the moon landing on my black and white TV.

The cameras used were British made and the invention of the ball-point pen has become a normal piece of equipment today as a direct result because you can't use fluid ink in space, and pencil is useless.

A 45 rpm record came out at that time which was offered by the News of the World for 10/6d which documents the actual landing and the discssion from the Oval Room in the White House, which I bought. Would the President of the USA be part of a hoax? Dunno, but I doubt it, and it is Nixon's voice on that record.

If it was a hoax, then why? What would be the point of spending so much money on a bit of nonsense?

Why would people such as Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins have risked their reputations? There's no logic to that.

Jem, they have been again since, but it's just old hat now and probably not worthy of the same news coverage.

If it was a hoax, then why haven't they done another "landing" on, say, Mars, to further the exploration into space? Why? Because Mars is too far away for a manned spacecraft, but they're not pretending to have been there, so why pretend to go to the moon?

Of course we're in our infancy when it comes to space travel and we can't as yet get out of our own solar system, never mind our own galaxy because the power to do so hasn't as yet been invented; or has it?

Does anybody disbelieve that Yuri Gagarin was the first man in space eight years earlier in 1961? Was that a hoax as well? Nope!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2012, 07:39 AM

I believe it happened just like the other five manned moon landings have.
Jem, Russia did have two soft moon landings in 1966 and the USA. had one soft moon landing in 1966

This was a great achievement and has brought great technological advancement to science which has in turn created advancements in health education about the human body apart from developing lots of new technology for industry.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top