Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 12:23 PM

Dumbing down?

Just watching BBC News at the moment and noticed the heading at the top of the screen: WESMINSTER.

This sort of thing happens all the time, especially with the scrolling headlines at the bottom of the screen. Time was that the BBC was a prime example of correctness, even having a special department to advise its journalists on the correct pronunciation of foreign words.

I suppose that a possible excuse would be given that the writers of these on-screen titles are obliged to produce their wordings rapidly and without much time to prepare, but something tells me that standards are slipping in line with our general educational standards in this country!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 12:41 PM

Re: Dumbing down?

My husband is a bit of a weather watcher he is often heard muttering might need a brolly ? Bit of fluffy cloud ? We are adults tell us why like you used to, the lines on the map are there for a reason or used to be !
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 12:55 PM

You only have to watch the terrible 'NEWS' reporters to see how much TV has been dumbed down. I say 'News' but I'm talking about the reports they do from the egg packing plant or the donut factory. The BBC are particularly good at employing these people who have no reporting skills and would be better suited on a kids channel.

There was a female reporter on this morning, reporting from a clothing factory. The whole time she was nodding and blinking like she had been plugged into the electric supply.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
My husband is a bit of a weather watcher he is often heard muttering might need a brolly ? Bit of fluffy cloud ? We are adults tell us why like you used to, the lines on the map are there for a reason or used to be !
I'd say that most people wouldn't know an isobar if it jumped up and bit them!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Mmmm. Sounds like chocolate to me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2016, 12:57 PM

I agree now but not that long ago we did, and not just the most well educated either, I thought with Internet access people would use it to look up what they don't understand but that doesn't seem to happen much. A huge wasted facility in many homes.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-07-2016, 01:02 PM

Even the shipping forecast has been changed with certain areas removed. I think I heard that Radio4 are to stop broadcasting it. I suppose it will make room for more so called R4 comedy and the chance to say 'b*ll*cks' as much as possible before the water shed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-07-2016, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Even the shipping forecast has been changed with certain areas removed. I think I heard that Radio4 are to stop broadcasting it. I suppose it will make room for more so called R4 comedy and the chance to say 'b*ll*cks' as much as possible before the water shed.
More BBC dumbing down. I suppose it tends to make us all 'more equal' though.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

25-07-2016, 01:11 PM

More BBC dumbing down. I suppose it tends to make us all 'more equal' though.
No just more stupid

I'm not sure we do next generation any favours accepting it so easily either.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-07-2016, 01:16 PM

I was watching good old smiley Carol Kirkwood the other day guessing what the weather would be. She was standing by a swimming pool in the first report. On the second report she was sitting by the pool and on the third report she was standing on the steps paddling her feet. I was half expecting her to be swimming along in a swimsuit and a microphone on the next one.

Just tells us the weather forecast. FFS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top