Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2012, 11:21 PM

Genesis

What is the historical foundation of this forum, it seems to have sprung up circa August 2009, and seems to be one of the most stable discussion forums for 50 pluses, a credit to cyber engagement.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2012, 12:02 AM

Re: Genesis

I am relatively new to this forum. I would think the best person to answer is the originator. Azz being the founder.

He laid down the principles by which the forum is governed, loosely speaking. The members seem to abide by the principles, largely out of respect for Azz and each other.

Of course there will be differences and heated discussion and occasionally personal insults. But by and large we all rub along together.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2012, 11:00 AM

I think the key words in this forum are "Friendly and Fun", I like it because everyone is made welcome from the very start and the folks are all nice decent people. Azz and the moderators do a splendid job and are very fair when they have to make tough decisions. I wish it every success and continued growth in the future.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2012, 03:18 PM

This is my very first forum, and I seem to have struck lucky.
Friendly, helpful people. Compassionate and fun people.
I hope this forum goes on for many years.
One thing I don't understand..why do so many people join, post a couple of times and are never seen again? It's not as if they aren't made welcome, still it's their loss
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2012, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
This is my very first forum, and I seem to have struck lucky.
Friendly, helpful people. Compassionate and fun people.
I hope this forum goes on for many years.
One thing I don't understand..why do so many people join, post a couple of times and are never seen again? It's not as if they aren't made welcome, still it's their loss
It tends to happen with forums all the time.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2012, 07:52 PM

Hi Paul

As echoed by everyone above, Over50sforum was started up to give the people over 50 a nice friendly place to hang out

Although there were a few more reasons:

1) Part of the idea was to try and get more over 50s online - as I have witnessed how 'going online' for some - no matter how late in their life - can have a profound impact on their everyday lives. Before over50sforum was started, two of our mods on Dogsey and Catsey, Meg and Mags, were both over 50. They weren't just members - but mods, which means they were dealing with lots of advanced functions of the forum (IP checking for spammers, banning etc) but also answering questions and teaching others on how to use the forum! Although both Mags and Meg had computers in the house because of their children and pottered around here and there, it wasn't really that long before becoming a mod that they got their own computer. So they have both shown that within a couple of years anyone over the age of 50 can get into computers - I am very proud of them both, and everyone else here who has picked up computing much quicker than I bet they imagined they would

2) I also know a lot of people who are over 50 from the other forums I admin, and they are some of the nicest people I know - so I wanted to give them something of their own, to share with people with whom they could easily relate. Many of them are on this forum now

3) I did intend to do some charity work to help over 50s get online (because of the above reasons) but life kinda got in the way and I never got around to it - I was going to train them how to use a computer, then introduce them to over50sforum, as I knew our members would look after and welcome them

I think that about covers it - I hope it's living up to all of your expectations.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2012, 06:21 AM

Where would I be without it I ask myself, and also concider myself very lucky to be here as I am a long way over the over fifty thing, Thank you Azz for having me and all you young things.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2012, 11:44 PM

Annie you're such a lovely lady.

I'm 62 now, but I was around 50 when a computer was plonked on my desk at work - before going online. I didn't know how to switch the blessed thing on but I was told to "play" with it, before learning how to work in DOS and Microsoft Works. Does anybody remember DOS? Perhaps not.

Anyway, a few years later I got a computer at home - not online - but it was a new toy then, when I did go online, although a bit nervous, I joined what was at the time a lovely forum and, like Azz, I was helped through many aspects which I wanted to learn, like Photobucket, security and lots of other things. I found it hard at first, but I got there with the friendly help and patience I received.

I don't mean to sound patronising, but I have every respect for anyone over 60 who first enters into this cyber world and gets to grips with it, most especially people like Annie, Wrinkly and our darling Dandysmom (Eileen) who be well over 50.
Jimbo
Aberdeen,UK
Jimbo is male  Jimbo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Annie you're such a lovely lady.

I'm 62 now, but I was around 50 when a computer was plonked on my desk at work - before going online. I didn't know how to switch the blessed thing on but I was told to "play" with it, before learning how to work in DOS and Microsoft Works. Does anybody remember DOS? Perhaps not.

Anyway, a few years later I got a computer at home - not online - but it was a new toy then, when I did go online, although a bit nervous, I joined what was at the time a lovely forum and, like Azz, I was helped through many aspects which I wanted to learn, like Photobucket, security and lots of other things. I found it hard at first, but I got there with the friendly help and patience I received.

I don't mean to sound patronising, but I have every respect for anyone over 60 who first enters into this cyber world and gets to grips with it, most especially people like Annie, Wrinkly and our darling Dandysmom (Eileen) who be well over 50.
Hi Mollie....just popping in for a quick look when I saw this thread...........................
I was over 70 when I first got a big desk top computer.....never had a lesson......just played with it a lot until I think I mastered it......................Lots of folks now over 50 are on puters...........My next door neighbours are over 80 are on puters,Skype,the lot.
Good night,
James x
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 09:00 PM

This is a lovely forum with loads of advice ,I am afraid I am one of those types who just pop in have a read and then go I don't get a lot of time and I post things then forget to go back to thank or answer what has been put on after me but it isn't because I don't care or are uninterested it is just what is going on at that moment in time but I love this forum and long may it go on and health and hapiness to all who use it...Sue

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top