Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 12:18 PM

Baby Fell From Ferry....

A baby is missing after falling from a ferry as it made its way into port in Northern Ireland.

A search by the police helicopter, coastguards and lifeboat services in Belfast Lough, near Holywood, County Down has resumed after being suspended overnight.

The baby was with a woman who plunged into the sea as the Stena Line boat arrived in Belfast from Cairnryan on Scotland's western coast.

The woman was pulled from the water by the crew of a pilot boat about 15 minutes after the alarm was raised.

Ian Murdoch, Belfast coastguard watch manager, said: "We have been searching for the second missing person for over two hours but sadly we have not found any sign of them so far."

The woman was taken to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast where she is said to be in a stable condition.

John McPoland, a spokesman for the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service , said: "She had been in the water for a while so you can understand that with the coldness of the water she would have been hypothermic."

All Stena Line sailings to and from Belfast were cancelled and Belfast harbour was closed for a short time.

Police Service of Northern Ireland officers boarded the ferry, which was docked in Belfast Port.

A police spokesman said: "It was reported that two people fell into the water from a ferry.

"One person was rescued and was taken to hospital for treatment for suspected hypothermia."

The area where the incident occurred is on a busy shipping route between Northern Ireland and Scotland.

Bangor and Donaghadee RNLI lifeboats, the Dublin-based Irish Coast Guard helicopter, a PSNI helicopter, fast rescue craft from two ferries, tugs and a pilot boat were all engaged in the search.

Coastguard rescue teams from Bangor and Portmuck this morning searched the shore of Belfast Lough.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

10-05-2012, 12:22 PM

Re: Baby Fell From Ferry....

Very sad!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 12:44 PM

The poor mother must be distraught - what an awful thing to happen to them both - poor little mite.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 01:24 PM

How very tragic
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

10-05-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
The poor mother must be distraught - what an awful thing to happen to them both - poor little mite.
My first thought was that she had jumped overboard with the baby, I hope I am wrong!
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 02:53 PM

Terrible but it doesn't look good for the child
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 03:18 PM

This is very sad, does not look good.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 03:44 PM

Very sad indeed. But how is anybody able to fall off a ferry???
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
My first thought was that she had jumped overboard with the baby, I hope I am wrong!
My thought too. In which case it is almost more tragic that she seems to have been rescued yet the baby not.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

10-05-2012, 04:04 PM

It appears now no baby was involved in this incident!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top